GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible blown turbo, have had APR stage 1 for about 75,000 miles.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
By bad turbo in this situation I mean a loose waste gate which isn't unheard of unheard of on the TSI IHI turbo. Its possible to see if it has any play by getting under the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fk6cSDE3hE

I used to get p2099 on my Eurodyne Stage 1 file but on no others files and found no boost leaks through inspection or logging. If I got this code out of no where though the first place I would look would def be the charge air piping and DV. You can inspect the wastegate flapper while youre under there.

That might get covered under your warranty too if you play your cards right. Hope it works out well!

FishesDelicious

I'm with the rest of you on the boost leak, diverter valve being the most obvious candidate since if it is totally failed, it will be impossible for the turbo to create boost. Also note that if it is an internal leak with the diverter valve, it won't necessarily show up in a smoke test.

I'd be shocked if you had a failed turbo with that trouble code and so few miles. For reference, I'm at 148k miles and have been stage 1 since 80k miles, so 68k miles tuned. From other posts on the forum, one guy had a turbo let go at over 200k miles and it was due to oil leaks, and it still made good boost despite leaking oil and smoking.

Brought it in to the VW dealer today and they said the turbo is shot. Good news is they're covering everything under warranty, even the Alltrack rental lol. Maybe just unlucky or a gimp turbo? I dunno

FishesDelicious

VW Called back and said it won't be done until possibly next week due to needing a VW inspector to come and inspect it to be sure it is the turbo and then the inspector calls the warranty place? Interesting

slowgti08

Ready to race!
VW Called back and said it won't be done until possibly next week due to needing a VW inspector to come and inspect it to be sure it is the turbo and then the inspector calls the warranty place? Interesting

Yep, sounds about right. The inspector does the same job as an insurance adjuster would do. They come out, check damage, and upon inspection, they determine if its going to be covered or not.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Brought it in to the VW dealer today and they said the turbo is shot. Good news is they're covering everything under warranty, even the Alltrack rental lol. Maybe just unlucky or a gimp turbo? I dunno

Like BudgetPhoenix said, wastegate actuator failures on these turbos aren't unheard of, which I had forgotten about. HumbleMechanic did a good video on the turbo failures related to the wastegate actuator arm. If that's the cause of yours, it's basically that the bushing the carries the wastegate actuator fails and causes the wastegate itself to not properly seat, thereby causing exhaust gas pressure to bypass the turbine and not create boost.