GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**BEWARE** ECU Failure - GMP Performance (Charlotte) & APR

Uberryan

Banned
always believe to start out just getting things fixed and then go back and examine how things were handled....... then with facts either go for the juggler or sing praises .........

My experience with GMP was ... APR said to go to them to update/download a stage higher free maybe a small fee for labor.......

I called to personally ask if they could do it (as it is a 2 hour drive one way) No problem made an appointment........

showed up no one knew anything .. they ask who I talked to I told them they said he was sick and had not written my appointment down.......

He came in for me (nice) and then said they could not do it.. He tried a couple things and said sorry... then he asked for money $75 What would you have done??????????????????????

I will never go there again unless I am getting something worth my wild and no installations of anything.......

I do not down to many if any as it is hard enough to run a business and stay in business as long as GMP has but I live in the area and it use to be if you had a Exotic you could go to GMP not anymore I send them somewhere else along with Audi VW BMW

So they charged you for labor on an unfinished, or unperformed job? Makes perfect sense...

... that no one should go there ever again.

loopless1

Ready to race!
Not saying that at all, just could have been handled a bit differently then the way it was.

We were actually working on the idea of an "insurance" policy so to say like mentioned previous for our in house installs, nominal fee at time of tune purchase covers for X amount of time. The delay is to do it right its gotta have proper legal backing which isn't quick or easy. The other downfall(although a benefit as a whole) is for the unforeseen future cars will be port flash again, so it would be a lot of money to start something that will now be outdated and cover a limited platform.

That's a really good idea. My ECU failed catastrophically 2 years down the road after a Stg 1 tune.
I don't really blame anyone but it cost me $2000. I would have paid an extra $50 for ECU insurance.
But as you point out with port flashing it's a non issue.

marylandgti

Passed Driver's Ed
If only VW would have made it so you could write to the ECM. I understand the reading to protect there data. Wish they would drop the whole encryption for the MK6 now that the 7's are about to hit the US market.

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
If only VW would have made it so you could write to the ECM. I understand the reading to protect there data. Wish they would drop the whole encryption for the MK6 now that the 7's are about to hit the US market.

Thats a big misconception. Its not VW that decided to put the encryption in there. That was Bosch, essentially a "feature" to sell their ecu/software package to a manufacturer. The MED17 ecu's are sold to many different clients such as other european manufacturers, a couple domestics, and even some off road vehicles like atv's.

Also mk7's are already here, been like 2 months or so now.

Last edited:

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
Careful

With all this being said, I wonder how many of you will be charged $500 for each bad review.