GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI Low Speed Fan Not Working

popeye304

I have searched for guidance in how to troubleshoot this problem, I really can't find anything that helps.

- I went out to check the fuses, there is no schematic or guide to tell the user what fuse goes to what.

- I open the fuse box in the engine compartment, same thing.

- I tried to find this fan switch on the radiator to jump pins... where's this switch?

Can anyone assist me? Procedures? Pictures? Springtime is ending here in Florida and so far, everything has been running normally as the high speed fan is doing its job, but the heat of summer is rapidly coming.

Thank you.

Connorc

I have searched for guidance in how to troubleshoot this problem, I really can't find anything that helps.

- I went out to check the fuses, there is no schematic or guide to tell the user what fuse goes to what.

- I open the fuse box in the engine compartment, same thing.

- I tried to find this fan switch on the radiator to jump pins... where's this switch?

Can anyone assist me? Procedures? Pictures? Springtime is ending here in Florida and so far, everything has been running normally as the high speed fan is doing its job, but the heat of summer is rapidly coming.

Thank you.

I had a similar problem last year, i found the problem was the fan control module that got burned up. cheap easy fix there should be some vids on YT to guide you if you do it yourself :thumbsup:

Last edited:

popeye304

After watching three or four videos, not many found on the MKVI GTI, I went to the library and checked out the latest GTI Chilton's again, not a MKVI GTI but the MKV.

So I'm not sure how I can properly trouble-shoot this. Fuses and relays in the MKVI are not labeled. No one has documented in any forum that I could find how they trouble-shot and fixed their low speed fan not operating symptom. So I guess it's time to go after what I think the most common failed component is, the low speed fan.

I wanted to make this as simple as possible but after viewing a YouTube video on how to remove the headlights... I decided to go ahead and remove the front fascia. I'm glad I did as it helped me understand what is underneath the front fascia but it's not necessary to remove the front fascia to remove the High and Low Speed Fan Assembly.

You have to remove the plastic air plenum so that you can gain access to driver's side bolt that secures the fan assembly to the radiator. There will be three more bolts; one on top (passenger side) and two at the bottom of the fan assembly.

To gain access to the fan assembly from underneath, you'll have jack up both sides of the front end so that you can crawl underneath to remove the fan assembly.

Once the front end is jacked up, secure with jack stands.

Remove all of the torx screws that secure the plastic covers... no idea what they're actually called. Ah, just read that it's called an engine splash shield.

Once you remove the splash shield, disconnect the electrical connection to the fan assembly (driver's side). Then, remove the lower driver's side torx screw then the passenger side torx screw.

Then slowly and carefully begin to lower the fan assembly until you have cleared it from the radiator.

I removed the low speed fan and opened up the back of the motor. I found only a small portion of a brush remaining still intact. The other brush was gone and the spring that was in it's place was twisted throughout the commutator and the motor windings. Safe to say, the fan motor failed.

Called the VW dealer, $186 just for a replacement low speed fan. Ugh.

Called my local part stores and found a Universal Hayden Electrical Fan ($60). Now I have used a Hayden fan before in a Jeep TJ but I had to modify the heck out of my fan shroud. I wasn't sure that I wanted to do that to my GTI's shroud. Me and the parts guy took a look at the fan and I determined that this will only require me to drill for small holes in the fan shroud which will secure the fan to the shroud. Done!

Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I hope what I posted here will help someone else.

Last edited: