GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 12 .:R
catch can and pcv fix

ok my brother had a mazda speed3 and very popular in the ms3 world they use matt damond catch cans http://damondmotorsports.com/collect...an-kit-stage-2
and he traded it in and said he will give me it. now i would like to install it but from my research it looks like its a bit different to install one on our cars.
or even how are those 80-100 bsh and cts fix plates they sell?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
Is something wrong with your pcv? I always return mine to stock in this cold weather.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

No there is not just thinking ahead maybe? And hear it is poorly designed
Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Edit- nm, didn't see this was the R forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
you just need a block off plate and new mount and it'll work. but i would recommend getting another option with braided lines for the concerns that thedude4bides is worried about. rubber lines can burst if they have water in them and it freezes in cold temps.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

sweet thank you kern
Old 02-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
you just need a block off plate and new mount and it'll work. but i would recommend getting another option with braided lines for the concerns that thedude4bides is worried about. rubber lines can burst if they have water in them and it freezes in cold temps.
It's not just that the rubber lines can burst, if it is cold enough the lines can freeze (without bursting) causing your car to be unable to run. Also, the can fills up super quick in the colder temps so if you do any long road trips like I do for skiing, you'll have to deal with emptying the can once you arrive at your destination which is an extra hassle... especially in sub-freezing temps in some random parking lot. Just easier to return to stock for 2.5 months.

If I could go back and redo it, I'd have ponied up the extra cash for braided lines just because they have a much sleeker look in the engine bay.

In any case, I have to think that a catch can is not an essential mod at all. Personal preference. Something to do if you want. Many shops have stage 3 cars running without catch cans, NGP, APTuning, etc.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

So I can just simply do the pcv fix from bsh or cts and be golden. And if I do add a catch can I simply just link it to the one and only hose that will be on there correct? The one that's on the driver side and goes behind the engine I beleive
Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

The plate will not work with a catch can. You can see in the image below that the plate that accompanies the CC has two additional holes:

Unless something is wrong with your PCV, the block off plate won't make any difference... but I guess you can think of it as preventive maintenance if you expect your PCV to fail at some point.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
i run the recirculation kit for that very reason. i never have to empty mine whereas i used to have to empty it weekly.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

Ok so I need a plate as you pictured and that will work won the catch can. Now does that set up prevent the poss leak that can happen on the pcv?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Well you either get a block-off plate or a CC (that comes with a plate as part of the kit). If you have a can and need a plate for it, you may be able to special order just a plate... not sure.

Some stage 3 guys actually removed their CC because white smoke was coming out the exhaust. I have maybe heard of one stock pcv failing on a mk6 R in the 4 years I have been active on the boards. Different story for mk5 FSI's... those things failed left and right. Block off plates and CC's are a solution.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

Nice. And yea spulen sells on Amazon a plate for a catch can that I could use. How does the catch can setup actually get rid of the factory setup since your still utilizing all of the hoses?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #14
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Because you replace the part in the image below with the catch can system: