GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BI-XENON HEADLIGHT HELP!

geramy1232

Ready to race!
Hello guys, having a bit of an issue with some OEM bi-xenon LED DRL lights I purchased for my 2010 GTI which also had the bi-xenon headlight option, just no LED DRL’s. Everything is working fine except the LED’s, they just wont turn on. I get a message to check both the left and right DRL lights. I had coded the fog lights as my DRL before but I turned the fog lights DRL and turned on the regular DRL option and no luck. Do I need to code the light for the LED’s to work? I was also reading in the forums that in order for halogen to be able to swap to bi-xenon, they would have to change to a highline CECM (central electronic control module) but wouldn’t I already have the highline CECM if I already had bi-xenon? Thank you in advance for the response.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I've seen a thread like this before where someone tried to install the OEMs Xenons from the 2012+ MK6s to an earlier year model.

One thing - did your bi-xenons without LEDs have the auto-leveler? If not, you may need that control module.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I retrofitted NEW OEM (non led drl) hella xenons and AFS and levelling to my 2010 halogen gti and a new controller being needed to run them is a MYTH, I have them wired 100% the same as factory install, you only need a new controller to run the drl’s on the led drl version, and even then it’s only needed if your current controller doesn’t have the correct pins for the led trigger wires! I have all the info needed to fit them (wiring diagrams etc) but it’s late here so I’ll have to find it later, correct Coding is also a must (I have that info somewhere to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
My CECM is “mid-line” by the way and my xenons are wired exactly as factory, in fact there’s not really a high line version as such, all it is is a later model with the led pins included.

Edit: I should add that early cars (non led 2009 , 2010 and some 2011) are wired differently than later models, with the xenons using the normal high beam wire as a shutter trigger which has corresponding coding, where as the later cars have a separate shutter trigger and led wire which utilise the extra pins on the newer “highline” CECM which is then coded as such.

Last edited:

geramy1232

Ready to race!
My CECM is “mid-line” by the way and my xenons are wired exactly as factory, in fact there’s not really a high line version as such, all it is is a later model with the led pins included.

Edit: I should add that early cars (non led 2009 , 2010 and some 2011) are wired differently than later models, with the xenons using the normal high beam wire as a shutter trigger which has corresponding coding, where as the later cars have a separate shutter trigger and led wire which utilise the extra pins on the newer “highline” CECM which is then coded as such.

So you are saying I will need the “highline” CECM and then code it? Because I looked at the headlight and the plug from my car and the pins match up and I also had the Bi-xenon lights.

Mk6Sam

You don't need to upgrade anything, you'll just need to do some coding in Vag-Com to have the LEDs work as the DRL.

I've been wanting to do the same Non-LED to LED Xenon swap, and couldn't find any info on it for a while.

I remember there being a Facebook post or something on the Ross Tech forum about it. If I can find it again I'll let you know.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
So you are saying I will need the “highline” CECM and then code it? Because I looked at the headlight and the plug from my car and the pins match up and I also had the Bi-xenon lights.

Yeah! You’ll need a different CECM which has the LED pins (if you want them to work properly and dim when headlights are on etc)! I’ll check which pins they are and let you know so that you can check your current one first as it may already have them, and yes then it will need to be coded correctly so the drl’s are “recognised” by it.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You don't need to upgrade anything, you'll just need to do some coding in Vag-Com to have the LEDs work as the DRL.

I've been wanting to do the same Non-LED to LED Xenon swap, and couldn't find any info on it for a while.

I remember there being a Facebook post or something on the Ross Tech forum about it. If I can find it again I'll let you know.

You can make them work without the new CECM but they will not function as the factory ones do.

geramy1232

Ready to race!
Thank you guys very much, i’ve been looking everywhere but haven’t found anything, please let me know if you find something about it. If its the new CECM that I need, what is the the part number?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SyDiko

Ready to race!
There are only 2 CECMs right?

Halogen one = 086
Xenon = 087

This one below is the xenon one,

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
There are only 2 CECMs right?

Halogen one = 086
Xenon = 087

This one below is the xenon one,

I believe if you have 087 you can run the LED DRLs as factory but I’ve seen the 087 CECM with different letters at the end of the P/N so I’ll take a look at etka and see if it shows the pin designations.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The diagrams I’ve posted are for a 2010! Doh! 2012 will be different.

This is the left side circuit diagram for a 2011 onward North American xenon car and it uses the same pins by the looks of it,

Last edited:

geramy1232

Ready to race!
Looks like your CECM is missing pins 6 and 44 from T52a(plug A) of J519(CECM) which at part of the led circuit I think,

Here’s a link to a diy in an Australian forum (I hope it’s ok to post the link) that shows some coding, bare in mind the AUS car is right hand drive,

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?14428-DIY-OEM-Bixenon-Headlights-CECM-Upgrade-and-AFS

hopefully this gives you something to go on!

Got you, thank you so much man so what is the CECM Part number I would in order to get these running? Also where is the CECM located?