GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo Intake Issues

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
So I recently got a CTS turbo intake, and so far its been great, I love the sound, and can feel the top end breathing a bit better through the rpm range. Only issues I've been having so far are:

1) The stage 2 piping seems to sit on top of the brake cylinder cap causing vibrations in the pedal. (See Picture)

2) The intake tray seems to sit on one of the coolant lines, not sure if that's okay or not. (See Picture)

3) The tray itself is only held on by one bolt, so it tends to move around a bit.

Besides all that, the intakes great, if the fitment works out, I love it, really good quality all around.

Anyone got any advice for these issues ???

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
To relieve the pressure on the brake fluid reservoir.
You will need a buddy.
1. Unscrew the front bolt that hold the heat tray down.
2. Have your buddy pull up on the CTS pipe above the reservoir
3. You screw down the bolt again and it should give you half a inch clearance or so.
***Make sure to use the stock intake bolt to bolt it down, the bolt included with the CTS kit is short and doesn't really get a good enough bite to hold everything down.
The stock intake bolt is twice as long as the CTS bolt. (At least on my Gen 1 CTS intake it was)

You may also have to re-clamp the coupler on the turbo to truly relieve all the pressure of the intake from the reservoir.
Its not stated but you do need the second person while tightening it down that is holding it up and away from the reservoir so it tightens down that way.

I had this issue and drove with it for like a week before someone told me what to do. I then re tightened everything down the proper way and it hasn't touched since.

Now if you have the new generation of intake using the stock maf you may need to re clamp it down from the turbo first then the bolt. As with my GEN 1 its all one piece so tightening the bolt up front first helped because it pulled the entire pipe away... not sure how that will work with the MAF and piping in between the bolt to the bend.

Switching that bolt to the stock bolt which is longer will help hold the tray still too. And im not sure about the coolant lines... i dont think mine touches but ill take a look later.

EDIT*

I see you have GEN 2 i never looked at your pics.

You will need to re-do the connection at the turbo and the bolt to properly pull everything away since its the multi piece unit.

Edit Number 2

Also make sure the coupler that connects to the turbo is actually all the way down. It turned out mine originally wasn't fully on the turbo and i recommend getting a nice clamp from your local auto store. The one CTS supplied with my kit was rather slippery and didnt grip it well enough to get a good hold for the angle i was at.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
did my recommendation work for you?

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
did my recommendation work for you?

I tried it out but didnt have much luck, I had to add spacers under the intake tray with the stock intake bolt to raise it up from the brake cylinder, for the coolant line, I added a bunch of heat wrap squares stacked on one another under the part of the tray that was leaning on the radiator to clear it from the hose, working around the turbo inlet did work, after a couple wiggles I got it set into place.

Thanks for your advice man.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I tried it out but didnt have much luck, I had to add spacers under the intake tray with the stock intake bolt to raise it up from the brake cylinder, for the coolant line, I added a bunch of heat wrap squares stacked on one another under the part of the tray that was leaning on the radiator to clear it from the hose, working around the turbo inlet did work, after a couple wiggles I got it set into place.

Thanks for your advice man.

Ahh yeah i never tried to play with the new multi piece intake.. Mine is the singular pipe and filter.. see pic.

So mine is a little easier to adjust with tightening down manipulation.