GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This is what happens when you drive over a drive shaft from an 18 wheeler [Pic Heavy]

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
It's been a brutal winter on the east coast. We've had over a dozen snow storms which has birthed hundreds of potholes/craters on local roads. Driving a lowered vehicle, I have been aware and pretty good at avoiding major potholes and snow/ice. However, the other day I was entering the turnpike when I encountered something unexpected: a driveshaft from an 18 wheeler.

Apparently, this drive shaft had just fallen out of the truck and rolled into the entrance ramp. It was night time, and I had just passed an overpass when I saw the drive shaft last second. There was no swerving/avoiding it. I centered up and braced for the worst.

It is like a drill bit they use to drill holes in the ground

Amazingly, I cleared the front bumper without damage, but the undercarriage was not so lucky. It hit just about everything underneath the vehicle, I got air, and when I landed, saw sparks coming out from all directions under my car. Immediately the car began to pull to the right hard until I slid into the concrete side wall (thank god they are designed to only damage the wheels). As soon as I came to a complete stop, I shut off the motor, flipped the hazards on, and got out to inspect the damage.

Circled around the back of the car to see this,

Let out a few choice words and circled to the front,

At this point, my car is literally bleeding out. It's pouring out. More choice words followed. Thank god I was alright though... I was just mad that this wasn't my fault and I did all this.

I got into my car and called the police. Upon arrival, he said I needed to move my car out of the way since I was on the side of an entrance ramp and in a dangerous spot (I was). He asked me to start the car and move it, I said no way, there is no oil in it. He then said, "ok, I'll push it." Alright, that's fine with me... so I get in the car, hand brake down, and wait for him to start pushing. No push... ok, what is he doing? I can't see him. All of a sudden, the lights on his cruiser start getting bigger and then a loud THUNK! He used his cruiser to push my car off to the shoulder. :cry: Whyyyyyyy?!

He chewed up my rear license plate and scuffed up the rear bumper. This was the sound from inside,

Tow truck arrives 30 minutes later and after we get it loaded, literally 10 seconds down the highway, I see the 18 wheeler on the side of the road. We pull over, and sure enough, this truck was missing a drive shaft.

The officer included the truck in the police report, so hopefully good for my insurance.

I had the car towed to RSW's new shop. I stopped by yesterday to look at the damage first hand. The new shop looks great by the way:

Onto the damage,
This wheel should be pointing straight

Oil pan, axle/cv boot, subframe damage

Missing subframe bolts (multiple bolts snapped--as designed I suppose),

Frame dented where the subframe connects to the frame,

Frame damage (driver side; likely done from the spline of the drive shaft)

There is additional damage that I am waiting information on. But as of now, thing's aren't looking too pretty for my GTI :( On a positive note, I am perfectly okay and at the end of the day, it's just a car.

UPDATE: It's totaled :(

Last edited:

Merkle

Banned
:eek:

I'm glad you're alright, it could have been a lot worse! Is the truckers insurance paying for it?

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion

Glad you are okay. How is your insurance handling it?
. . . . Please say totaled

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion

I'm glad you're alright, it could have been a lot worse! Is the truckers insurance paying for it?
Right now, it's being handled by my insurance company. The truck is on the police report, so I would assume they would try to chase the trucks insurance company for money. I have never been in this situation, so I'm not sure how it should work.

Glad you are okay. How is your insurance handling it?
. . . . Please say totaled
I will find out tomorrow when the adjuster takes a look. There is significant undercarriage damage... I am not sure I would feel safe if they attempted to repair all of the frame damage.

ill take your AFS, NAVI and Leather
...vulture!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
that is hardly totalled.. a little dent in the frame, drill out the subframe bolts and install new ones. few bent suspension pieces..

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
You are lucky your airbag didn't go off... There is a post of member somewhere here he damaged his subframe and airbags deployed... Shit must be scary to have an unexpected airbag to deploy

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
If you got air, it may have wedged between your car and the road and vaulted you. This is further backed up by the fact your subframe SHEARED OFF. You're lucky it didn't flip you on your side then.
Considering that much structural damage and deformation, it may be a write off. :(

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
that is hardly totalled.. a little dent in the frame, drill out the subframe bolts and install new ones. few bent suspension pieces..
There are several dents in the frame, multiple points need to get redrilled, and a big gaping hole in the frame.

Assuming the frame is repaired, then you have,
-respray rear bumper
-repair/replace passenger front fender (dented from wheel hitting it)
-replace two rims
-replace at least one tire
-replace underbody/fender paneling
-replace entire front suspension
-replace subframe
-misc sensors
-oil pan
-additional damage under the oil pan?
-additional damage to the exhaust/turbo from the subframe yanking on the downpipe--the downpipe was separated from the exhaust.

You are lucky your airbag didn't go off... There is a post of member somewhere here he damaged his subframe and airbags deployed... Shit must be scary to have an unexpected airbag to deploy
Super lucky. That would have scared the sh!t out of me.

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Damn man sorry to hear that hope it all works out for the best

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
UR obviously too low...sorry..
Seriously? What car besides a pickup truck/suv could sucessfully drive over an 18 wheeler driveshaft? How about I lay one in the highway and you try taking your porsche over it. We can all laugh at you afterwards..

OP, this is pretty awful man. Hopefully it gets fixed, or taken care of in a timely manner!

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Damn, I've always had terrible luck with running over things, but this is just a whole new level of destruction. Glad your OK and if a cop tried ramming my car off to the side I would have thrown a fit and maybe been arrested :mad0259: