GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squealing noise on start up

Mkvi4life

Hi all this is my first post here so bear with me. Upon start up when my car is cold it is making a loud squealing noise that lasts for about 10 seconds then goes away. This only happens on cold starts. Sometimes when stepping into boost there is a similar noise to that initial start up. The issue is not the accessory belt or pcv valve as those have been recently replaced. Thanks everybody.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
usually belt squeal is because of the tensioner not the belt..if the tensioner is failing it'll burn a belt new or old - i'd check that first

XVII_

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you figure out what it was for sure

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

AnhelMk6

Check your starter, pull it out and air it out with shop air. Or clean it. I’m pretty sure it’s that. Had the same issue. I cleaned it and it went away but only for about 3 days and it came back. Replaced the starter. No longer have that embarrassing squeal at start up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben_m

Ready to race!
Check your starter, pull it out and air it out with shop air. Or clean it. I’m pretty sure it’s that. Had the same issue. I cleaned it and it went away but only for about 3 days and it came back. Replaced the starter. No longer have that embarrassing squeal at start up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to Hijack but I just started getting this symptom too. How much does a new starter cost/labor? Also, does it mean the part is starting to fail, or is it just a noise related issue.