GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat trouble

Keith Flaitz

Hello Everyone, I bought a 2009 GTI a couple of months back and about froze last Winter and pretty sure that the thermostat is the culprit. more recently, I replaced the thermostat, and not really sure that I did it correctly, as I have never had one with a pin in it and there are several different styles. Hard to tell if I have the right one. And the one I had taken out looks the same, but no pin. It goes in a housing ( Gooseneck ) that is secured with a 5mm hex, and a 10 torx bit. My question is, which end does the pin go into ( same size hole on both ends ) and what direction does the spring face, up, or down, cause I'm pretty sure that I put it in upside down................HELP! P.S. engine 2.0t, and automatic trans

Last edited:

dcpppf

Ready to race!

Keith Flaitz

Thank you very much for the reply, and yes, you're right, it is a nightmare. And if you ever have to do this job, you don't have to take off the intake manifold as I had done. It just adds more work, and isn't necessary. I do have the thermostat in right, and the pin, but its the wrong thermostat, so I get to do it again............Thanks again!

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Haha not a problem. Any tips on that intake manifold removal... Speak up. I'm taking mine off for the first time this weekend for intake valve cleaning.

zrickety

The Fixer
I priced out a thermostat and housing (plastic gets brittle) for my 09, over 100k. I opted to buy the whole water pump. Might be a good idea for you...

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I bought a metal water pump with thermostat and new belt for around $150. Might want to take a look at them as they are supposed to last longer..

As for the intake mani. It's not too difficult, just be careful when installing and do NOT over tighten the bolts.

bertha

I don't have personal experience with them, but I was considering them when I was looking

Keith Flaitz

Was having trouble with my computer, but I'm back, and happy to say that after doing some research , I had found that the thermostat I had purchased was the wrong one ( In the future you might want to order parts using the VIN number ) the one that I had put in had a CENTERING PIN, and that is all it does. Thermostat never sealed off, and the only time that it would come up to temp is at a stop light and such. So I studied and the one that it takes is somewhat conventional but has an extra short spring above the main spring, and metal arch ( sorry, don't know how else to explain ) anyhow, if you're putting this in from under the car there are indents on the sides of the arch that match "keyways" in the water pump, designed to hold the thermostat in place while you put the gooseneck in place and bolt it. I did mine by pulling the water pump and it's much easier...............

Keith Flaitz

Manifold Removal

Haha not a problem. Any tips on that intake manifold removal... Speak up. I'm taking mine off for the first time this weekend for intake valve cleaning.

You'll need a wand magnet, and a 13mm socket, 1/4 in. drive, and the electrical plugs, at least on my 2009 GTI are all different, except for 2. One goes to the water temp sensor, and the other goes to a connection on the throttle body. I did have them mixed the first time, and the other 2 plugs that go to the throttle body won't reach if you get them mixed. Put some colored tape on one of them. Remove all the plugs that you can get to. You may have to pull the Alternator and the oil filter, pull straight away from the block and alternate pressure side to side, and it should come loose, but be careful as there may be some plugs that are somewhat hidden...............good luck

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I don't have personal experience with them, but I was considering them when I was looking

Mine is doing fine but only have 500 miles on new block. The best benefit of the aluminum pump is it will not get brittle and crack. When valve cover leaks down the front of engine then rubber seal under the pump will swell and crack the plastic pump. In a perfect world you wouldn't have to worry about this, but we all know these babies are prone to leaks here and there..

Keith Flaitz

Snow that all is fine, and the car is running better than the day that I drove it off the Dealers lot, I still have a Message in the Screen in the center of the Dashboard saying .....Service Soon, and always on startup. I was able to erase all error codes but this one. Before I started work on my car, same message center was telling me I had so many days, and miles to get it fixed, and I guess had I ignored the warning, it probably would have gone into "Limp Mode",which isn't a good thing. Can anyone tell me how to delete this message?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have had this message on for a year or so. I do all the service so dont worry about it much. I see you found your answer in another thread. Maybe I'll look for it also..maybe not ha :)

zrickety

The Fixer
Service soon, or Service now? Isn't there a reset in the MFD menu? At the bottom...
I have one on the 2010, maybe it was unlocked by APR?

Keith Flaitz

Service soon.....Delete

Very sorry that I never directed others to the answer! But this is how it reads. 1. Key out of ignition....press and hold in trip odometer reset button till 0.0 shows in right hand of display 2. Still holding this button, insert key and turn to ON, but do not start. 3. Display will read Service Now. 4. Let go of the 0.0 button and depress the M, or Minutes button on the clock, or the left hand side of the display , this will reset the Service reminder. There is no confirmation on the display other than the words "Service Now", will disappear
If you want to know when service is due.....take key out of ignitionand hold in trip reset button for between 3 and 5 seconds. The MFD will display miles, and hours until next service..................