GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition Coil Spark Plug Replacement Costs

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
So Thursday, I was in a hurry and stuck in traffic long enough to be down to fumes in my gas tank. I stopped by a Chevron on Crenshaw, but wasn't paying attention to what I was doing (really old style gas pumps) and accidentally put in about 5 gallons of 87 octane.

Friday, I am making a left turn and the car starts crazy misfiring, complete with EPC light and blinking engine light. I filled it the rest of the way with 91 from a different station (not that it would even matter, but what the heck, let's just try it). Of course it did not help. I had to get it towed to the dealership and have just been quoted:

$581 for ignition coils & spark plugs + $138 for fuel induction service.

2 questions:
1. Price...should I tow it away and go somewhere else?
2. 2012, less than 50K miles, no modifications, what the hell was in that gas?

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
So Thursday, I was in a hurry and stuck in traffic long enough to be down to fumes in my gas tank. I stopped by a Chevron on Crenshaw, but wasn't paying attention to what I was doing (really old style gas pumps) and accidentally put in about 5 gallons of 87 octane.

Friday, I am making a left turn and the car starts crazy misfiring, complete with EPC light and blinking engine light. I filled it the rest of the way with 91 from a different station (not that it would even matter, but what the heck, let's just try it). Of course it did not help. I had to get it towed to the dealership and have just been quoted:

2 questions:

Holy fucking ballsack that's expensive. Run some octane booster, buy the coils and plugs online and have someone on here help you replace them if you don't know what your are doing.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That's pretty crazy. Coils and plugs for just the parts themselves shouldn't cost more than $130-150. Since it's a dealer they'll charge you for at least an hour of labor because that's pretty much their minimum, so that shouldn't be more than $100ish. Not sure about the fuel induction service though.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Holy fucking ballsack that's expensive.

LOL. Right?!? It's my first experience with this particular dealer. I wouldn't have expected them to be that ballzy. Especially on something that anybody could type into google and get a general idea of the cost.

Run some octane booster, buy the coils and plugs online and have someone on here help you replace them if you don't know what your are doing.

Thanks.
This is my daily, so I don't have the luxury of ordering from ECS and doing the installation. I'm not talking intermittent misfires, I'm talking it's downright undriveable right now. I do have a contact at a different location, and will probably just tow it there.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Obligatory dad pulls out wallet moment:

Finny

Loki

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i paid $130 for my r8 coils and spark plugs. Did it myself with a $4 harbor freight spark plug socket/extension took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Wolffman316

Passed Driver's Ed

2 questions:

That’s pretty much assault. $130 for parts at most. I got r8 coils and new spark plugs for $105 combined. Then changed everything in 20 minutes. I’d speak to a manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
too Wolfman (for some reason i cant quote you).

I went in to get a 60k service(well called in about price). My dealer wanted $425.00 for a oil change, spark plug replacement, and general service check/top offs. I went home ordered the stuff myself along with fuel filter for $160.00

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Take a taxi to an Audi dealer? Grap plugs.. zip ties? Its harder in colder weather but if you go slow I know you can do it? Watch the Youtube video and do a mock trial to back the rail off and ease the coil up.