GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I too old? :)

Coderedpl

Ready to race!
No prob, coderedpl. I was WAYYYYY more independent than my siblings - and I respect that you seem to lean that way too. Just don't underestimate the huge advantage you have in being able to avoid the lion's share of paying for a homestead - nor underestimate how your comments may 'come off'. At 22 - I was married with a pregnant wife...with absolutely NO help from either set of parents. We ate a LOT of mac and cheese....and drove a frigging Chevy Celebrity when son #1 was a baby (at least it had the MPI engine and 'Eurosport' trim pkg - hahahhaha).

Believe me - I'm not belittling you for living at home with mom and dad. Quite the contrary - I respect that you take more 'ownership' of your toys than most kids your age. But.....I believe you will encounter challenges in your next ten years you never dreamed of and it will greatly shape your mentality and character going forward. It might be more of a struggle than you're anticipating currently. Don't let it get you down. Plod through it. If you're a hard worker, you can always afford things you really want that are important to you.

Best wishes to you. Both my sons are OLDER than you. They are both fiercely independent. I see that in your comments and attitude. That's a good thing. Actually? A GREAT thing.

Oh i know. Things do change once everything is in your hands, but hey I'm always up for a challenge. Thanks for the good comments, can't rely on others my whole life you know.

Oh and BTW I'm married too, just no kids yet.

spurvis

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, I'm 47 and I have never thought I was too old to own a Golf R. I just traded in my 2011 CW GTI for the R and I didn't think I was too old for that car either.

Get the R!! You're NEVER too old to drive what you like!

chris101

Ready to race!
With how many 20somethings today that can't even drive a stick, why would you even think you are too old for an R?

patrickj

Ready to race!
If it makes you happy, get it. If you are going to worry about others thinking you are driving an cheap VW, buy something else ;)

Absolutely agree. I got my R in April of last year, took it to stage 2 and about to go 2+ and absolutely love it. If you enjoy it and drive it hard, you are not too old. I'm 48 today. :)

patrickj

Ready to race!
With how many 20somethings today that can't even drive a stick, why would you even think you are too old for an R?

No joke. The dealer I take my car to for service has techs that cannot drive a stick. I was like WTF? Why would you even hire someone that can't drive a stick? Don't let them near my car!!!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
No joke. The dealer I take my car to for service has techs that cannot drive a stick. I was like WTF? Why would you even hire someone that can't drive a stick? Don't let them near my car!!!

Haha the guy who sold my car learned how to drive stick at one of the manual cars for first 3 months when he started working there. He should work for mercedes since pretty much non of their cars doesnt come with stick anymore

Sent from the iPhone

ides1056

Ready to race!
I am 56, and still a fucking kid. The car proves that. In my adult brain, cars are mere tools to get me from point A to B. But the kid in me has always had a hankering for a bit of dash. Guess this is my midlifecrisis car...

Figo1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the R for a few months and I'm 26. To be honest I consider the car to be a grown up "hot hatch". I would want this car even if i was in my 40s along w/ my S4. In my search for my next daily driver I wanted something that was turbo and AWD. With those 2 things said, the first thing that came to my mind was a Subaru WRX/STI but the thought of seeing high school kids driving it everywhere was a turn off - So that's one of the main reasons I got the R, not to mention the interior spanks the hell out of the subaru and to me its 10x more comfy. It's a much better daily driver for my type of use.