GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire question

Georgia_Boy

I just picked up a set of 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rear Boyd Coddingtons off a Mercedes. The Michelin Pilot sports are like new with no cracks or wear. They were only on the car for a photo shoot and have been in climate controlled storage for 10 years and were aired down before being placed in storage. I just want to get some opinions on running a tire that was produced in 2002 but looks brand new.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
Good luck bud, not only are the wheels going to be hard to pull off (pending offsets) but them tires are quite old. I personally wouldn't risk it with that old of a tire.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
What Double's Dub said... Tires that old can look fine but they indeed may NOT be safe. Not worth the risk of a blowout when you're cursing down the highway at 70+mph.

Georgia_Boy

I've already test fitted the wheels. They do stick out a little but I'm ok with that. I'm at stock suspension height and don't plan on going lower. I also have Firestone helper bags in the rear so fender run isn't a concern. I had pretty much made up my mind to buy new tires but just wanted the input. Thanks for the reply.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
No problem man. Are you planning on cambering the wheels? I would think that they would poke a shatload... In for pics though

Georgia_Boy

The fronts are about an inch outside the fender and the rears are about 2 inches out but the fronts don't scrub and thanks to the airbags the tears won't. I drive way too much to stretch and camber tires, about 60k per year. I have a body shop in GA working on removable fender flares so I can swap back and forth from stock tires for long hauls. Basically the 18's are for when I have some down time and GTG's to attend.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
They sound very cool! I'd think a subtle permanent fender flare that looks stock would likely look best.
Super wide wheels aren't my thing, but I'd still love to see how this looks when you're done :cool:

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I just picked up a set of 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rear Boyd Coddingtons off a Mercedes. The Michelin Pilot sports are like new with no cracks or wear. They were only on the car for a photo shoot and have been in climate controlled storage for 10 years and were aired down before being placed in storage. I just want to get some opinions on running a tire that was produced in 2002 but looks brand new.

10 years unmounted in climate controlled environment would be the max. I wouldn't risk it. New tires can be had for a "reasonable" amount.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Definitely agree with everyone else. 13 years is a really long time for tires. Best to get new ones.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Avoid those tires, away too old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk