GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI CBFA ENGINE BLOWN

pashley

Ready to race!
Man I'm sorry this happened to you. Glad you are getting it figured out within your budget. But...just gotta say...that valet or business would be in for a world of shit if I was in your shoes...I understand it wasn't necessarily their fault, but these people handle customers' expensive cars...they need to hire people who understand dash warning lights. Turn the engine off and alert the owner.

AngelRvp

I would love to go after them, but they have a policy that says they are not liable for anything. Basically, use at your own risk.

pashley

Ready to race!
Nah man. I'm a lawyer and this is BS. Basically, companies can have waivers and policies to their heart's content, but it doesn't change the law. Valeting a car in legal terms is a bailment situation (you give possession of your car to another party for safekeeping with no ownership rights attatched). In bailment situations, the party receiving possession of the item is liable to act in a reasonable, non-negligent fashion. Basically, they are responsible for what happens to the item while it is in their possession. I'd argue that a service dealing exclusively with vehicles is at least grossly negligent) if they fail to heed common engine warning lights or leave the car unattended with the engine running. Moreover, there is no real assumption of risk in a valet situation (as it isnt really a dangerous activity) and even if there was, reckless activity does not absolve that party of liability. I'd sue them for the cost of the engine dude.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
^^^^^^^ x100. Used to work as a valet. They're sitting ducks, liability-wise. They all have huge rainy day funds for cases like this. My employer didn't even have a lawyer on call anymore. They just took it whenever someone claimed damages.

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
I called the valet company and left a message yesterday. Will call back today

Like the others said be persistent with them. Threaten to get an attorney if they don't return your calls. It appears they were negligent by disregarding the cars warning lights while the engine was running causing it to blow. That $2.7k is a fraction of what it would cost them to litigate and defend themselves.