GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a worthy alternative to Vagcom??

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yes its good. You can pretty much do everything VCDS can now. I have both. Logging is not as good as VCDS though imo but its usable. One good thing though is that the developers are constantly updating it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It requires credits to do some of the quick coding options only, but I think it gives you some free ones at first and then gives you 1 every day. You can still do manual coding though for everything so they are not required. I think I have like 500+ credits I never use.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I bought one a few weeks ago. I'm far from being an expert, but it seems easy enough to use. Also it doesn't seem to be tied to your VIN, so I think you can use it on as many cars as you'd like.

It's nice that it's small enough to keep in the glove box, so if I'm out and I get a light I still have access to advanced diagnostic functions without requiring a laptop.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I bought one a few weeks ago. I'm far from being an expert, but it seems easy enough to use. Also it doesn't seem to be tied to your VIN, so I think you can use it on as many cars as you'd like.

It's nice that it's small enough to keep in the glove box, so if I'm out and I get a light I still have access to advanced diagnostic functions without requiring a laptop.

That's good to hear. Yeah I like the idea that it is compact and can basically be accessible anytime you have your phone on you or A phone I imagine.

I think I'll definitely pick it up closer to Spring when I get the car itch again to do stuff. :cool:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
That's good to hear. Yeah I like the idea that it is compact and can basically be accessible anytime you have your phone on you or A phone I imagine.

I think I'll definitely pick it up closer to Spring when I get the car itch again to do stuff. :cool:

My only nit-pick would be no IOS support. When I'm at home it would be nice to be able to use my iPad's larger screen. That said, their small screen phone interface is so well designed that I don't find it at all annoying to use.

I've tried to dig up some drawbacks of OBDeleven versus VCDS, but as far as I can tell they offer similar capabilities. I'd love to hear the opinion of someone that has extensive experience with VCDS and has had the chance to play with OBDeleven though.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I have read in a couple of places that an IOS version is coming. It also was mentioned on one of ShopDAP's videos. No idea what the timeline will be.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
My only nit-pick would be no IOS support. When I'm at home it would be nice to be able to use my iPad's larger screen. That said, their small screen phone interface is so well designed that I don't find it at all annoying to use.

I've tried to dig up some drawbacks of OBDeleven versus VCDS, but as far as I can tell they offer similar capabilities. I'd love to hear the opinion of someone that has extensive experience with VCDS and has had the chance to play with OBDeleven though.

No issues here. Team Android. :D :thumbup:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have read in a couple of places that an IOS version is coming. It also was mentioned on one of ShopDAP's videos. No idea what the timeline will be.

That would be great!!!! Carista did the basics for me but OBD11 is a lot more powerful and seems more user friendly then VagCom.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
No issues here. Team Android. :D :thumbup:

:thumbup: I'm perfectly happy with either, personally. I like to have both a current Android and IOS device just to keep up with changes.

That would be great!!!! Carista did the basics for me but OBD11 is a lot more powerful and seems more user friendly then VagCom.

To give an idea of how user friendly OBD11 is...

I bought it because I have a brake issue on my car and before unleashing the parts cannon on it I wanted to see what was going on. Within a few minutes of getting it set up I was very easily able to do what I guess are just the basics... scan for faults, access codes (to copy/save/modify/etc), and monitor specific sensor data. For example, I was able to very quickly rule out faults with the wheel speed sensors because I could actually see the data they were reporting and that data matched the actual speed of the vehicle while I was driving it.

I've never used VAG-COM, but I would guess that it's at least as capable as OBD11... or I would think it should be given the price. It's been the community standard for ages, so I can't imagine it lacks power. But OBD11 is definitely easy to use, portable, and relatively inexpensive in comparison.