GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Name this startup squeal...

cincygti

Hi Folks...

'10 GTI with 85K miles on it. I had the valves cleaned at the dealer due to low power output / misfires. That problem was corrected, but since the day I got my car back every time I start my car (cold) it makes this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q9vNsvlOjM

As you can see in the video, it only lasts 10-15 seconds - but it is super loud and annoying. Again, it ONLY happens when car is cold. No sound at all on warm starts.

I took it back to the shop and they greased some belts and that didn't solve anything so I returned to the shop. Some previous searches turned up potential alternator belt tension causes, and some tensioner explanations.

Shop doesn't think those are involved and they believe it's coming from the high pressure fuel pump. They say it's just a coincidence that it started the same day I got my car back.

They say no charge for it if it doesn't fix it.

Anyone have any other ideas what this could be - specifically how it may be related to them cleaning my valves? That was expensive enough / not to mention the cost of replacing the HPFP.

Thanks!

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
That does sound an awful lot like mine. They are calling tomorrow in the AM / I suspect the HPFP will not have fixed it.

Yeah, yours sounds exactly like mine. I hear its a fairly common problem, especially if you've swapped downpipes before. Parts are cheap to fix the broken exhaust manifold bolt but labor drives the cost up significantly.

cincygti

Yeah, yours sounds exactly like mine. I hear its a fairly common problem, especially if you've swapped downpipes before. Parts are cheap to fix the broken exhaust manifold bolt but labor drives the cost up significantly.

My car is completely stock. They called and said the HPFP fixed the problem. I'm doubting it after watching the video you linked to. I'm going to pick it up shortly (waited a while so the car would be cold). Will report back.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
how the eff did they grease some belts????

cincygti

how the eff did they grease some belts????

lul, good question.

So, went to pick up the car. Paid for the repair, went out and started it up - sounds still there, loud as ever. He brought some of the mechanics over to listen to it again - back in the shop it goes.

I told them to investigate the exhaust manifold, but they seemed a bit dismissive of that theory. I'm sure I'll get a call later today or the in the AM that it's the manifold. ;)

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Never spray belt dressing on the belt. If the belt is making noise you change the belt not spray gunk on it. While the belt is off check the tensioner. Those guys should know that. Hoping it is an easy & cheap fix whatever it turns out to be.

cincygti

If this ends up being the exhaust manifold, what are the odds they caused it when cleaning my valves? The sound started when I got the car back from having them cleaned.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I think the odds of them doing that when the valves were cleaned is pretty slim. When the valves are cleaned it is the intake side not the exhaust. At least I believe that to be the case.

cincygti

Any update? Curious if they confirmed the broken exhaust stud leak or not.

They STILL have car. Service guy says it's not the exhaust manifold and they checked that... but I'm telling you, it's the exhaust manifold - they just can't figure it out yet. Hopefully get an update later today.

cincygti

Update - it's the exhaust manifold. Service guy apologized (they've had car for almost 3 weeks) and said his tech said it was fine, but they had it up yesterday and soapy water confirmed it.

I paid ~700 for the high pressure fuel pump which was not the issue, so he said they're just going to call it even after this fix (which would be more than that for sure).

I'm kind of scared to hold on to the car now after paying over 2K for the valve cleaning + this in just a couple of months. Saving on the car payment is turning into diminishing returns right now.

Thanks everyone here for pointing me in the right direction!