GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noob with a new to me mk6 GTI

PVK

Hi all,

I just picked up a project 2013 mk6 gti from the auction with no keys,fob, nada. From what I have read, the lost all keys vagcom/arbrites/service mode with immo 5 needs to be accessed in order to program new keys and the door lock/unlock feature.

That being said, the dealership quoted me $250 for cutting/programming 2 keys. That requires a tow for $80, and since the can isn't registered, another $80 tow back home.

Total $410...which is crazy. I haven't reached out to any local locksmiths in my area, but is there a cheaper alternative for getting keys cut and programming?

I have seen AARodriguez key fobs and cutting, but nothing for programming.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

zrickety

The Fixer
I got a plain jane valet key made and it was $90+
$250 isn't bad if they are the remote keys. If they aren't, you want to find your own remote keys (about $25 on ebay) and have them cut/program. You could get a tow dolly for $60 if you know someone with a capable truck/suv.

Unfortunately, the dealer is the only place that can do this. The process involves syncing with computers in Germany.

PVK

I got a plain jane valet key made and it was $90+
$250 isn't bad if they are the remote keys. If they aren't, you want to find your own remote keys (about $25 on ebay) and have them cut/program. You could get a tow dolly for $60 if you know someone with a capable truck/suv.

Unfortunately, the dealer is the only place that can do this. The process involves syncing with computers in Germany.
I need to verify that the car runs, I'd hate to spend $410 to find out the engine/tranny is toast.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
oooooh snap... you don't know if the engine can run.. dang.. .

well in for a penny in for a pound.. unless you feel like pulling the motor to see if you can move the crank by hand looks like you may need to spend the buckets unless you're just going to part it out.

Good luck in any case. Let us know how it turns out.

Are you able to locate the P.O. through records? Maybe they have a key

PVK

oooooh snap... you don't know if the engine can run.. dang.. .

well in for a penny in for a pound.. unless you feel like pulling the motor to see if you can move the crank by hand looks like you may need to spend the buckets unless you're just going to part it out.

Good luck in any case. Let us know how it turns out.

Are you able to locate the P.O. through records? Maybe they have a key
I can only dream, it was bought at a local dealer. I can try reaching out to them for the buyers info.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Yeah going through the dealer is the only way to get keys and are guaranteed to work. Anything aftermarket more than likely wont work when try to program to car.

zrickety

The Fixer
You won't get the car to run without defeating the immobilizer...requires the key, which requires the dealer.

I would just get the one valet type key made (roughly $90 like I said). You must have got the car cheap if you don't know if it runs.

PVK

You won't get the car to run without defeating the immobilizer...requires the key, which requires the dealer.

I would just get the one valet type key made (roughly $90 like I said). You must have got the car cheap if you don't know if it runs.
Can you link where to get the valet key? Cheap is all relative to how much I would need to dump into the car, car has fair share of problems. Might have to part it out and let you guys pick it apart.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i once saw someone hotwire a car in a movie... did you try that?

zrickety

The Fixer
Can you link where to get the valet key? Cheap is all relative to how much I would need to dump into the car, car has fair share of problems. Might have to part it out and let you guys pick it apart.
I don't have a link. Was a dealer nearby, I just called and asked how much for a basic key. Your dealer should offer the same. Key+programming=roughly $90

PVK

So, does the valet key start the car or does the car need to be towed to dealership either way for programming ofor any key?

Sorry about the 1000 questions, just need to figure out if it runs without spending crazy money to find it doesn't.