GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At my wits end with steering wheel vibration

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
My guess would be the wheels. Try swapping the rears to the front and see if it changes at all. That'll give you an idea if it's the wheels or something else.

+2.

Agreed.

Try switching out the entire set if you have the ability (i.e. you're running aftermarket and have the stocks lying around).

If you were local to me, I'd let you try mine out as I'm getting ready to throw on the winters. Maybe somebody closer to you would do you the same...? Worth a shot.

+2.

Agreed.

Try switching out the entire set if you have the ability (i.e. you're running aftermarket and have the stocks lying around).

If you were local to me, I'd let you try mine out as I'm getting ready to throw on the winters. Maybe somebody closer to you would do you the same...? Worth a shot.

I forgot to put in the OP that I have rotated them front to back twice...no luck. It's really weird, I'll report back after I've checked them for dents or any kind of damage.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Then, try switching out to a completely different set.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Funny this thread turned up and I JUST began to experience this. The common factor is that I just threw on my winter tires/rims. I can't recall having this issue last winter so it might be due to the rotation of the tires. I honestly can't remember which ones were where. I usually eyeball it and whichever pair has the extra meat I throw up front.

Now when I'm around 50mph and let go of the wheel I get the vibration. This goes away entirely once I grab the wheel though.

dgokess

Not to bring this back from the dead but any updates on this, OP? I recently started having this EXACT same issue. Only thing I haven't done is swap for a different set of wheels/tires. I will say though the tires I have are relatively new and no visible signs of wheel damage.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Not to bring this back from the dead but any updates on this, OP? I recently started having this EXACT same issue. Only thing I haven't done is swap for a different set of wheels/tires. I will say though the tires I have are relatively new and no visible signs of wheel damage.

Swapping to another set of wheels is the first thing you should try..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
THIS>>>

had this issue when i bought new rims/tires.. replaced the rims still had it happen. When i switched to winters (same set i had on previously with no issues) i thought Yeaa all gone. Then.. .I went WOT and boom.. there it was. Ever so slightly but it's there.

Now @ 273Km i know I need a need suspension even though it feels firm but do i now check the LCA? Upper/lower? will check the links front/back for play but got this feeling it's going to be a wild goose chase with no real firm answer til i replace every fricken possible suspension related part

phhhhhhhhuuuuuuuukkkkkkmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Actually I do have an update... I decided to buy a whole brand new set of wheels a couple weeks ago, figuring that they must be the issue. Got the tires put on and balanced, still shaking...it's less now than before but still there at 70 mph and up. Not sure if I listed it in my original post but I also replaced both CVs with used low mileage oem ones from ebay. The only thing I havent replaced now is the steering rack and the wheel hubs. It's gotten to be almost funny at this point.

well another update in case anyone reads this, replaced both front wheel bearings this past weekend with some new moogs, still shakes just as bad as ever over 65... At this point I'm really at a loss, every mechanic I talk to says that I have replaced every part that makes sense that could cause this vibration. I'm gonna try one more alignment at an independent shop because I don't have any faith in my local dealer. If that fixes it I'll report back

kaahdoc

well another update in case anyone reads this, replaced both front wheel bearings this past weekend with some new moogs, still shakes just as bad as ever over 65... At this point I'm really at a loss, every mechanic I talk to says that I have replaced every part that makes sense that could cause this vibration. I'm gonna try one more alignment at an independent shop because I don't have any faith in my local dealer. If that fixes it I'll report back
How'd it go?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I reported that I experienced this when I put on my winters. It actually seemed to slowly go away throughout the NJ winter months to the point that I didn't even notice it. Now I've put back on my summers (with Laguna rims, winters were on Detroits), including spacers this time around, and I have zero vibrations. Not saying spacers helped at all, just something I included this year around for something new.

supraeazy

Passed Driver's Ed
Have a possible solution for this, I expierenced this for awhile and tried balancing my tires and performing an alignment as well as shaking down the front end. Everything was good and the vibration was still there. I then ordered some parts off ECS to try and get rid of my wheel hop issues with my new tune. Low and behold the ECS dogbone insert is what got rid of the vibration for me. I have had it installed for 4 months and havent noticed the vibration ever since. May be worth looking into!

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
...it's less now than before but still there at 70 mph and up.

Have a possible solution for this, I expierenced this for awhile and tried balancing my tires and performing an alignment as well as shaking down the front end. Everything was good and the vibration was still there. I then ordered some parts off ECS to try and get rid of my wheel hop issues with my new tune. Low and behold the ECS dogbone insert is what got rid of the vibration for me. I have had it installed for 4 months and havent noticed the vibration ever since. May be worth looking into!

I think I've got the same thing going on. Sometimes at around 70 I get vibration it the steering wheel. It'll be subtle when cruising steady, but more pronounced on acceleration. I've been thinking about the dogbone insert, but I've also read it increases vibration and harshness at idle and low speed. Have you experienced that?