GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quiet Catback to pair with Catless Downpipe

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a catback that is decently quiet. Car currently has a CTS Catless downpipe, and a stock exhaust with suitcase muffler delete. I love the sound but have recently moved to a big city and live in a dense apartment building residential area and it's just too loud, I love my loud cars personally but it's a daily and I don't want to make my neighbours who don't love loud cars go through listening to me pull out of the neighbourhood at 7am every day. I have no problems with drone or anything right now, just wana be a good neighbour and help give local car enthusiasts a better reputation.

I have done some searching on forums and elsewhere and most recommend a cat in downpipe for a quieter setup, but as I already have the catless and there are no emissions checks in my area I would like to keep it as is, and pair with a quiet ish catback if possible. I have considered just putting the rear suitcase muffler back on the stock exhaust, however I don't have the part anymore and purchasing a new OEM catback in my area costs almost as much as an aftermarket system anyway.

I know catbacks on these cars are worth little to no HP gain, but I have plans to go K04 one day so the extra flow would gain me a little bit i'm sure.

If anyone has any experience with getting a good, and not too loud sound out of a catless downpipe I would love to hear your recommendations! Bonus points if you have video or sound clips I can listen too! Thanks for help in advanced, and here are two videos of the current sound for those interested!

Thanks in advanced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOQ4FnqkJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjP8IcZUVk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
go with a milltek with resonator and muffler. it's amazing how quiet yet great sounding their stuff is

cons

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock RSQ3 catback has a good quite sound and excellent performance. i have tried different types of custom catbacks: with or without resonators and with/without helmgoltz resonators. But the best quality of sound and performance I got when installed one from RSQ3. It has exhaust valve and can be very quite with close exhaust valve and can be a little bit louder than stock and more aggressive.

For example my sound on 3" downpipe and stock catback:

and 3" downpipe with RSQ3 catback (close exhaust valve):

And overlay:

RSQ3 catback has peaks on 50 and 100Hz, but other sound range from 125Hz to 16kHz a quiter than stock.

Last edited:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
SPM street exhaust is pretty quite, thats what i have i love it.

ce4

Ready to race!
Just put a Beluga CBE on mine with stock downpipe. Sound is only a bit (a very tiny bit) louder than stock cbe, except when wot. would imagine it would be just a touch louder with catless dp. Good price on em too from ebay, direct from beluga.