GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving to Fort Collins

jon570

Ready to race!
ive got a 2014 Gti base with turbo back exhaust, Catted and has mufflers, I will be moving around october from Maryland to Fort Collins, CO. Does anyone in CO have insight on the registration process of my vehicle? As well as changing drivers licenses? I have read that emissions testing doesnt need done till its 7 years old so i should be good until 2020. What about safety inspections? Or inspections in general. Do i need one to register? Also my license. Is it a lengthy process or just go to a dmv/ licensing place and have it changed over. Do i need to take any extra tests or anything?

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Im not sure if the 7 year exemption applies to cars brought into the state. You may need to have emissions tested when you arrive. You should pass emissions fine with a catted exhaust.

For the drivers license, it took me all of 15 minutes in Denver to switch mine over, just show up with proof of address and pay the man at the counter.

No safety inspections.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Jon, just saw this topic, I moved out here about 4 years ago and am in Evans, about 35 minutes or so from Fort Collins.

Now, when we got here the info online said to get a new license you needed to have a job for a month or something or show residence for 6 months or something silly. We did that and found out it was wrong. LOL

Should be able to just go down to the DMV License Department and submit an application. I would make an appointment just to make it easy. Just need Birth Cert, SSN card, and two acceptable proof's of CO address.

This is the current official info page.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/out-state-transfer-adult

They punch some holes in your existing license so you can still use it until your CO one arrives.

You don't need emissions testing unless/until the vehicle reaches the age, I thought it was 8 years but either way your '14 should be fine for a bit. When we moved the deferment was only 4 years and we did not have to do emissions testing on our '12s (we moved in 2013).

No real inspections are needed but to get a new title you do have to complete a quick inspection to verify the VIN. You just go to a dealer and they complete a quick form to verify the vehicle is what it says it is.

FYI Ed Carrol Audi/VW/Porsche in Fort Collins is awesome. Got my current cars there and will be getting two more soon as these leases expire. Already placed my TTRS order. lol

I'm not as active on the forums as I used to be but if you need anything or questions just PM me.

jon570

Ready to race!
Jon, just saw this topic, I moved out here about 4 years ago and am in Evans, about 35 minutes or so from Fort Collins.

Now, when we got here the info online said to get a new license you needed to have a job for a month or something or show residence for 6 months or something silly. We did that and found out it was wrong. LOL

Should be able to just go down to the DMV License Department and submit an application. I would make an appointment just to make it easy. Just need Birth Cert, SSN card, and two acceptable proof's of CO address.

This is the current official info page.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/out-state-transfer-adult

They punch some holes in your existing license so you can still use it until your CO one arrives.

You don't need emissions testing unless/until the vehicle reaches the age, I thought it was 8 years but either way your '14 should be fine for a bit. When we moved the deferment was only 4 years and we did not have to do emissions testing on our '12s (we moved in 2013).

No real inspections are needed but to get a new title you do have to complete a quick inspection to verify the VIN. You just go to a dealer and they complete a quick form to verify the vehicle is what it says it is.

FYI Ed Carrol Audi/VW/Porsche in Fort Collins is awesome. Got my current cars there and will be getting two more soon as these leases expire. Already placed my TTRS order. lol

I'm not as active on the forums as I used to be but if you need anything or questions just PM me.

Thanks for the reply, looks like im pushing back moving till next year. Few things i need to take care of here before i leave. Hoping 2018 is the year to move out there. But i thought i read it was 7 years for emissions.. Ill have to double check. I like how they do emissions, on the side of the road sometimes and once you pass them enough it sends your pass certificate in the mail.