GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTF RUST?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

rhino

Ready to race!
every used car i do brakes on at work has rust on the rotors/hub , use a wiz wheel to sand the rust down if it bothers you that much, i wouldnt worry about it.

pvivino

Ready to race!
I've seen a porsche with the rotors painted - Not just the hat (hub) but the outer edge as well. Looks OK. I would think this would be a lot of work for minimal gain. Brake rotors get pretty hot, so it would have to be the best high-heat caliper paint. Some of the home-painted calipers I have seen look awful after a year or two when the paint fades, so I bet the rotors will fade even faster.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
every used car i do brakes on at work has rust on the rotors/hub , use a wiz wheel to sand the rust down if it bothers you that much, i wouldnt worry about it.

Nah if its normal i wont do anything. if I upgrade my brakes will the rust come back?

ride106

Ready to race!
I have a similar issue with rust on the hub. I'm not sure if its the same location. In lieu of jacking up the car for a photograph, it was located on the hub as far out as possible the wheel axis. If that makes sense.

Both of my rear wheels had some rust forming. It actually made it difficult to remove the wheels from the hub. Before putting the winter set I spread a small amount of generic lube - same type I use to spread on the lugs before retightening them. We'll see how it holds up after some salty winter and then I'll reinvestigate my next move.

when i first got my car, i took wheels off, waxed them and painted my Hubs to prevent this. and so far working out very well. after winter gotta do it again though. Personally i think one day of full out detailing saves alot of trouble in the future.

but its normal.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have a similar issue with rust on the hub. I'm not sure if its the same location. In lieu of jacking up the car for a photograph, it was located on the hub as far out as possible the wheel axis. If that makes sense.

Both of my rear wheels had some rust forming. It actually made it difficult to remove the wheels from the hub. Before putting the winter set I spread a small amount of generic lube - same type I use to spread on the lugs before retightening them. We'll see how it holds up after some salty winter and then I'll reinvestigate my next move.

Let us know what happens after winter.

when i first got my car, i took wheels off, waxed them and painted my Hubs to prevent this. and so far working out very well. after winter gotta do it again though. Personally i think one day of full out detailing saves alot of trouble in the future.

but its normal.

Yea I know what you mean. how did you paint it? tape off the rotor and pad? could getting paint on the rotor be dangerous? damn if I wouldve know I wouldve done this before

Aonarch

Ready to race!
Extremely normal. Most tire shops are required to sand the surface off before remounting the wheels.

vernacular

Passed Driver's Ed
This is most likely a n00b question, but if I painted my rotors black with the Duplicolor high temp paint, would the brake pad not rub a line right through that new paint the first time I brake? I've seen plenty of painted calipers, but I've never seen a painted rotor. I don't get out that much. :)