GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI - K04 Build

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Nice build thread! :thumbsup: Is there a specific part number for the Rennline Heel/Toe pedal extension? I’d like to try this out.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

zrickety

The Fixer
Great build, I am just now seeing it. Very similar to my car but I'm missing the LSD. I wouldn't bother with the catch can, but have you thought about a subframe mount? I've run the red HPA on a previous GTI, it was excellent. This car came with an insert, I have VWR mounts waiting to go in.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Great build, I am just now seeing it. Very similar to my car but I'm missing the LSD. I wouldn't bother with the catch can, but have you thought about a subframe mount? I've run the red HPA on a previous GTI, it was excellent. This car came with an insert, I have VWR mounts waiting to go in.

I've thought about it, and keep going back and forth on it. Did you run the stock dogbone with the HPA mount? NVH bad?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Figured I'd post some feedback about track pads from this past season. I also posted this in the Track Brake Pads Thread, but want to include it here in case people don't follow that thread...

I run the following brake setup:
Stoptech/Centric High Carbon Blank Rotors
G-LOC GS-1 Compound Pads (Street)
G-LOC R8 Compound Pads (Track)
Tyrolsport Brake Bushing Kit
Removed dust shields
Motul RBF600 Fluid

I can't say enough good things about the G-Loc pads. The R8 compound performed flawlessly over a pretty grueling 2-day track event at VIR earlier this month. There are two high speed (130+mph) braking zones in each lap, with many lighter braking zones in between, and I didn't notice any pad fade during any 30 minute sessions. Very little wear during that event, and they are easy on the rotors. These pads even do well at low temps on the street, but the noise they generate is pretty intense. Because of that, I run the GS-1 compound on the street, which is compatible with the R8 on the same rotors. The GS-1 pads have a very similar coefficient of friction as the R8 in cold temps (maybe even slightly higher) and are quite easy to modulate. I really enjoy running them daily. So far they are quiet with less dust than the OEM or Stoptech Street pads I've ran in the past.

A few notes:
Bedding procedure is critical for the R8 compound pads. I tried to bed them in on the street, but wasn't able to get enough heat in them. They did properly bed in during my first session on track, which caused me to lose half a session so I could let them cool. Because of this, I would recommend getting them pre-bed from G-LOC. This is to bring the pad up to temperature to properly off-gas the pad material.

I've reached the limits of Motul RBF600 and find that I need to bleed my brakes at the end of each track day (meaning I'm boiling the fluid). I will need to upgrade next season to either RBF660 or Castrol SRF.

Can't wait for next season!! Schedule was just released.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Quick winter update:

Finally finished up the DG spring / Koni yellow install. :thumbup:

Also installed SuperPro roll center adjustable ball joints and swaybar end links.

I got it aligned temporarily so I could drive it for a few weeks, the toe was waayyy out. I'll go back for a final alignment once everything settles. The SuperPro ball joints gave me about -.5° of additional camber on each side, so I'm sitting at about -1.55° at the moment. I'm pretty happy with that given that I was at -.8° prior to lowering and installing the ball joints.

So far, after a few days of driving I can say that I love this setup. I have the rear shocks set to middle setting (2 turns from soft) and the fronts set at one turn from soft. I'll dial the fronts more as I go, and I cant wait to get this thing back on the track next month. :)

Last edited:

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Your rig is coming along nice! :clap:

Quick question, were you able to change the lower control ball joints out easily? (Meaning, you didn't have to remove the CVD axles from the hubs.) I want to add the SuperPro ball joints but if I have to remove the axles, brake capilers, etc, I'd like to be prepared.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Your rig is coming along nice! :clap:

Quick question, were you able to change the lower control ball joints out easily? (Meaning, you didn't have to remove the CVD axles from the hubs.) I want to add the SuperPro ball joints but if I have to remove the axles, brake capilers, etc, I'd like to be prepared.

No, I did not remove the axles or brake calipers to install the ball joints. And actually, I didn't remove the axles to do the springs / dampers either. It saved quite a bit of time this way.

Here are the steps for ball joint install:
1. Remove the 3x m10 (16mm) ball joint nuts on the bottom of the control arm
2. Loosen the m12 (18mm) ball joint upper nut above the steering knuckle with a box wrench. Keep in mind that you won't be able to completely remove the nut because the axle is in the way, but loosen it as much as you can.
3. Use a pickle fork and 3lb sledge hammer to release the ball joint from the knuckle
4. With the ball joint now dropped down, finish loosening the nut and remove the ball joint.
5. Install the new ball joint into the knuckle and start threading the upper nut.
6. The ball joint stud will likely start to spin as you thread the nut on, so lightly press the ball joint into the knuckle with a floor jack. This will prevent the ball joint stud from spinning.
7. Finish tightening the upper nut
8. Install the lower ball joint nuts, adjust the position based on alignment and tighten the 3x lower nuts.

Hope that helps!

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
^Awesome directions! Thanks a ton :w00t:

ProffB

Nice build. Did the SuperPro roll center adjustable ball joints and swaybar end links make any noticeable performance difference?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Nice build. Did the SuperPro roll center adjustable ball joints and swaybar end links make any noticeable performance difference?

The SuperPro ball joints gives some additional static camber up front. In my case I was able to get -1.55°, so I could definitely tell a difference with them.

The adjustable end links allowed me to eliminate the preload on the swaybar, since my car is lowered. This preload will cause premature wear and failure of the stock end links, as well as causing unbalance in the corners.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up some new track wheels, Motegi MR133 17x8.5 ET45. My old track wheels, OZ Omnia 17x7.5 ET50 are now my daily wheels. Remounted my Yokohama AD08Rs since they have plenty of tread left.

Street setup on the top / Track setup on the bottom

This is the reason I went with wider wheels...the AD08Rs run pretty wide for a 225 wide tire, and they were pinched on the 7.5" wheels. On the 8.5" wheels the sidewalls are more squared.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Finally got around to installing my Unitronic Intercooler. Install was fairly uneventful, everything went pretty smooth :thumbup:

About this time the wife asked exactly WTF I was doing. :laugh:

All buttoned back up. Front end sits a little lower thanks to the added weight. :eek:

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
New black zinc plated lug bolts from Otis Inc LA arrived earlier this week. :drool:

Installed with the track wheels to check fitment