GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cornering lamps

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Have not seen this mentioned on here.
But my brother in law was telling me his fog lamps are busted already.
So I took a look and I had to tell him his fogs are cornering lamps that turn on when the steering is pointed a certain number of degrees off center.

I thought that was rather amusing that he didn't pick up on it.
Has anyone noticed that???
That is on his sportline with halogens.
Not sure if the xenons do that.
I know the main xenons are directional, but does the gti fog lamps also turn on when turning???
________
Kids Depakote

Last edited:

TDI110

O_o
Here in Germany there are two options that I am aware of for the GTI's regarding the cornering lights. The first being the Bi-Xenon's with that pivot while turning, then the ones that don't pivot but one fog light turns on when turning left/right. I don't have a GTI, but rather a TDI with Fog lights; and when I first noticed it I thought something was amiss until reading the manual :laugh:

cbope

I have a Mk6 Highline and mine has the cornering/driving lights. These are the lower mounted driving lights and I believe there are 2 bulbs in them. The center bulb lights up when going straight and the side mounted bulb comes on when the steering wheel turns a few degrees off center. All bulbs are automatic, the driving lights come on over 10 kph and the cornering lights come on at any speed above zero. It's pretty neat and really helps.

Sadly my driver side driving light glass got cracked a few months after getting the car. I have yet to get it fixed.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
I have a feeling that because we have daytime running lights here, we don't get automatic driving lights.
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited:

Bill Carson

Passed Driver's Ed
I was just wondering why more cars don't come with cornering lights. When I was growing up, my family had an '83 Ford Thunderbird, and it had cornering lights that would come on when you engaged the turn signals. They provided quite a bit of extra light in the direction of the turn--a very nice accessory. You would think this feature would be universal by now, but I haven't seen any cars with these at all.

TDI110

O_o
I have a feeling that because we have daytime running lights here, we don't get automatic driving lights.

For VW that might be the case, and that sucks if it is. I know, however, that with my 98 Camaro Z28; at home in Canada, I have automatic lights. It's a bit weird that for a car like the GTI in North America more options are not available. When I was buying my Golf VI the options for lights were numerous.

cbope

It's not related to having daytime running lights, as we have them here (they are required by law).

flc1962

Firstly hello all

Secondly yes I was that pillock as well, changed my main beams and thought I had a fault as one fog was on. Changed them back away it went (moved steering wheel) tried again later wheel straight on hey all ok.. So asked on another forum just to be told they should do that, so spent the next night moving the wheel left to right watching them come on and off,,,:w00t: