GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA K04 users need some input

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I don't think the HPA K04 "Hybrid" is a hybrid in the traditional sense, and won't make more power over a regular K04. The F23T is a hybrid with different internals.

It's absolute crap is what it is. It's cheaply made, poor quality control, and every shop I've spoken with hates dealing with them, or won't deal with the m at all.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
When did you buy your HPA turbo? They used to sell Borg Warner K04 kits, but switched to a K04 "hybrid" a little while back.

I got it Jan '14....I don't think it's a BW K04, pretty sure it's one of their 'hybrids'.

One of the outcomes of the tinkling contest with FrankenTurbo was HPA marketing their turbo as a 'hybrid' as opposed to a BW K04.....I say this because this change happened when the tinkling contest ended.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Imo the actual Borg Warner k04 will be the most reliable, tried and true version that can be used. The hybrids will put out more power, but at what cost?

Cost of chasing ghosts if shit goes wrong........which is why one needs competent shop who knows the product, or strong DIY skills.

Chris659

Ready to race!
I’m on almost 20k miles in just over a year of ownership and no issues.

Their supposedly from the same company that assembles BW turbos or same internals. Something like that. It’s not a hybrid like the f23t or tte420 are. They call it a hybrid bc it is a k04 but cast/made to fit our cars. Unlike apr modifying a BW turbo, they have a company that made the housing the way we need it.

It should work with any companies k04 software as there’s nothing else really special about it. Atleast not in a sense of making more power than another k04.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I’m on almost 20k miles in just over a year of ownership and no issues.

Their supposedly from the same company that assembles BW turbos or same internals. Something like that. It’s not a hybrid like the f23t or tte420 are. They call it a hybrid bc it is a k04 but cast/made to fit our cars. Unlike apr modifying a BW turbo, they have a company that made the housing the way we need it.

It should work with any companies k04 software as there’s nothing else really special about it. Atleast not in a sense of making more power than another k04.

I wouldn't doubt HPA as a company, but hard to work out the bugs with a year or 2 vs how many years of the k04 that BW has? Might get a lemon once in a while, but for the most part, they are pretty bulletproof.

VDubGTI12

Passed Driver's Ed
I spoke with United Motorsport who knew exactly what they were doing with a HPA K04. Said they’ve had pretty good results. That’s what the final convincing piece was for me to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
I spoke with United Motorsport who knew exactly what they were doing with a HPA K04. Said they’ve had pretty good results. That’s what the final convincing piece was for me to pull the trigger.

You have dyno numbers for the UM tune and HPA turbo?

KFahey

Ready to race!
HPA K04

So, I've had this turbo for about a year and it has ran wonderfully.

However, In July i ran a boost leak test on the turbo for the hell of it and i have a small leak coming from HPA's Turbo Outlet V-Band Clamp assembly. I've been through hell ever since replacing parts they've given me, replacing o rings etc, nothing fixes it. It's a poorly designed clamp assembly with poorly machined parts. I seem to hit max boost fine and car seems to run great. However, i can hear the leak when i get on it full throttle.

Currently waiting on more parts from HPA which has been over 2 months now. A new turbo replaced under warranty has been mentioned by HPA, but im hoping it doesn't come down to that. I would avoid HPA's Turbo kit just for the horrible clamp design.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
However, In July i ran a boost leak test on the turbo for the hell of it and i have a small leak coming from HPA's Turbo Outlet V-Band Clamp assembly.

I had the same problem. I wasn't aware of this until my car started throwing the P1335 code and going into limp mode. Drop it off at a VW shop, and they fixed my boost leaks everywhere, including this which you mention. I thought it was odd, and thought it was a shit install job.

But now leaks are fixed, and car runs strong. Wish I could go BT, but too much mileage on the car..........

KFahey

Ready to race!
I had the same problem. I wasn't aware of this until my car started throwing the P1335 code and going into limp mode. Drop it off at a VW shop, and they fixed my boost leaks everywhere, including this which you mention. I thought it was odd, and thought it was a shit install job.

But now leaks are fixed, and car runs strong. Wish I could go BT, but too much mileage on the car..........
What exactly did they do to fix it? And did HPA cover the labor cost? It's good to find another person with this issue, HPA was dumbfounded about it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I think the HPA is cheaper than the BW k04, but it's always better to go with a BW. More power needed? Add a forge WGA, p&p, and have the wheel clipped. All imo.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
What exactly did they do to fix it? And did HPA cover the labor cost? It's good to find another person with this issue, HPA was dumbfounded about it

Never contacted HPA about this.

The intake tract was disassembled, cleaned, new gaskets/clamps where needed, and reassembled.

New DV installed, and GoFastBits DV+ removed.

Was just under $400 for parts/labor.

Like I mentioned, I thought the outlet leak was due to shit install job, since same place fucked up the install of my IC and blew me off with a simple 'welcome to world of VW gremlins'.....thus another shop found the problem right away, no gasket in the intake connector that attaches to the turbo outlet pipe. Bullshit like that is why I shrugged it all off. But now I know where to look if problems should come back.

KFahey

Ready to race!
By intake track do you mean where the turbo outlet assembly is ....where a silicone hose attaches the turbo to your turbo outlet pipe?

Out of curiosity why did you get rid of the DV+? That's what I'm running with no issues

Yadadameans

Ready to race!
So I just installed my HPA k04 two days ago and HPA didn't include one of the vband clamps I needed lol

But luckily I had another k04 to salvage parts from and I changed out the WGA since the HPA one is weak

Now I'm just waiting for Stratified to give me a base map time so I can boost. Currently running their stage 2 tune and I cannot push it because it overboosts