GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New TDI Engine

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
guess you're better off getting an old mk4 diesel and modding that then..

They are not that reliable either... but at least you don't have any of the emissions crap to deal with.

I have yet to check into the cali smog laws, when it comes to diesel emissions.

Rumor has it they don't hook it up to a sniffer which means you can simply remove all emissions equipment and replace with a straight pipe and get a tune from malone, as long as your car doesn't smoke black smoke you should pass. Since it is a "visual test"

Also the fuel pump catastrophe can be avoided now thanks to a tdiclub member which made a filter kit that contains the fuel pump after it explodes ($170). This way you're out a $20 filter and a $600 pump. And replacing the pump yourself isn't that bad. <1k for a DIYer like myself in the worst case scenario. That's pretty acceptable.

If I was to keep this car past 60k mile warranty I would immediately put the kit on my car, since the kit will surely void the normal warranty.

If you don't do that you could be out about 10k, since the exploded pump will contaminate the other 2 fuel pumps (yes this flipping car has 3 fuel pumps) and the injectors which are made from the metal of the gods and cost a couple hundred each, fuel rails and fuel tank.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
They are not that reliable either... but at least you don't have any of the emissions crap to deal with.

I have yet to check into the cali smog laws, when it comes to diesel emissions.

Rumor has it they don't hook it up to a sniffer which means you can simply remove all emissions equipment and replace with a straight pipe and get a tune from malone, as long as your car doesn't smoke black smoke you should pass. Since it is a "visual test"

Also the fuel pump catastrophe can be avoided now thanks to a tdiclub member which made a filter kit that contains the fuel pump after it explodes ($170). This way you're out a $20 filter and a $600 pump. And replacing the pump yourself isn't that bad. <1k for a DIYer like myself in the worst case scenario. That's pretty acceptable.

If I was to keep this car past 60k mile warranty I would immediately put the kit on my car, since the kit will surely void the normal warranty.

If you don't do that you could be out about 10k, since the exploded pump will contaminate the other 2 fuel pumps (yes this flipping car has 3 fuel pumps) and the injectors which are made from the metal of the gods and cost a couple hundred each, fuel rails and fuel tank.

yeah, fuck this car.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Yep...

And TDI has a timing belt that is not cheap to replace at 120k miles. All in all keeping this car outside of 100k miles is simply financially stupid. The maintenance of the Timing belt +DPF will easily surpass 4k by 150k miles or so.

All in all I wish I knew these things going in... but I wanted the D(iesel)

Max, you know the 1.8T coming out has a Belt as well right? And it isn't the same as the 2.0T so we don't know what Reliability will be here since this is an ALL New Motor and we aren't getting the Tech the Euro guys get on the 1.8T, we get the Watered down version once again...

I just think that with the new motor being pretty close to the current Passat TDI, it should be reliable as heck. No big issues have been reported like the current CR in our cars. No HPFP failures, uses a different pump configuration (same basic design, but different on paper) and also Solenoid Injectors instead of the ones we have. Their Exhaust isn't as bad either since they have the Add Blue or what ever it is, so the Emissions stuff isn't AS restrictive as our current cars.

I think this will be better in the long run, and with the possibility of a 7 speed DSG, they are banking on 55+MPG Rating from the EPA. Most of us get better than EPA ratings on our cars as it is.

I'll wait until mine is paid off, wife has a new ride, then I'll get a MK7 Diesel. GTD or TDI, I don't care, the GTD will just be a Modified TDI motor like the current is now anyways...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure I'll own another diesel until I have more faith in the tech.
And the 1.8 was supposed to be a watered down 2.0. Kinda shocked to see the belt...