GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What fluids can leak?

Emireitor

Ready to race!
This week I started noticing a wet stain on my parking spot. I live in Miami and it has been raining a lot lately. At first I assumed it was due to parking the car wet at night and the occasional A/C water condensation. But after parking head in and then back in, today I saw two pretty generous wet spots.

When I checked the fluid on the floor, I used a white tissue paper, fluid had a very slight yellow/green hue. Smelled a little oily so I know is not washer fluid. Upon inspection of engine bay I saw some parts of the bottom wet but couldn't reach because it was hot. and it was more towards the middle/rear of engine bay (toward cabin)

What fluids can leak from this area? power steering, break, DSG?

Could someone point out where are these located and do they leak?

thanks!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I hear about phantom fluid leaks appearing under the car a few times now and they are usually related to the water pump. Have you had your recall done? Any over heating issues?

Emireitor

Ready to race!
I hear about phantom fluid leaks appearing under the car a few times now and they are usually related to the water pump. Have you had your recall done? Any over heating issues?

not really. Cooling system work just fine, I am suspecting either DGS or Power steering because it has a certain level of viscosity

reshwitz

Ready to race!
We don't have hydraulic power steering. It's electronic.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
go to the parts store and buy a variety of fluids and smell them all for a really long time so you know what each fluid smells like.

Vroomer

Banned
Try not using your A/C and then see if it happens. It really does sound like just condensation to me. DSG fluid is dark and oily since it's real oil (I had a tiny leak actually this year).

Last edited:

Nezoid

Ready to race!
go to the parts store and buy a variety of fluids and smell them all for a really long time so you know what each fluid smells like.

Just curious if this is norm on this site. Is this common/acceptable feedback? I know I'm new to the VW community, just trying to find out if this is cool or not. I know every forum has their special people.. just curious.

And to attempt to contribute to the post. It's hard to translate a leak with text, so might want to take a picture where you see wet parts and the puddle. Might assist smarter member than I to pinpoint your problem. GL.