GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Oil

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ok, the 0-40 I had not seen yet actually, so I can't comment there

Walmart.com Castrol 0w40 5qt jug have it sent to store free shipping....

Best deal out there period. As much as i HATE walmart, they do have the best deals going on oil.

UOA's prove the Castrol 0w40 is a steller oil, carries MB approval, BMW approval, Porsche approvals, VW/AUDI what else do you want? Even M1 0w40 doesnt carry that many approvals anymore...

Jeff

FriggenT1

Banned
I use the 0w40 because it holds up the best on the UOA's I have done. This oil carries the OEM approvals that oils costing 2-3x's as much dont carry

To say this oil is better than that one is all subjective, so I wont go into an arguement over brands, BUT I can tell you is with UOA's and these numbers will vary by mods of course. On a bone stock TSI there is no better oil. If people say there is prove it. Show me the wear numbers? Show me the TBN after 5k miles, PROVE IT.

I can prove it with Casrol 0w40. This holds up much better than the 5w40 and is why I use it. You guys can spend 3x's as much on boutique oils all you want and if you dont mind wasting money all power to you. We can tear down motors in 100k miles and see. Bet my engine is as clean as yours while wear will be as good if not better than using oil that cost 3x's as much.

The proof is in the numbers. If oil "A" shows the same if not better wear numbers than oil "B" and oil "A" cost $5 a qt vs $12 a qt why on earth would you pay $12 a qt? Just sayin...

Jeff

I don't know what your problem is, but 1. I don t pay 12.00 a quart, I don't pay even close to that.

2.You want us to PROVE it? Here you go...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...tella-T6-27k-on-GTI#/topics/5613995?_k=qjgisg

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I don't know what your problem is, but 1. I don t pay 12.00 a quart, I don't pay even close to that.

2.You want us to PROVE it? Here you go...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...tella-T6-27k-on-GTI#/topics/5613995?_k=qjgisg

That is fine and dandy, but one your car most likely is out of warranty isn't it? So using T6 is fine. T6 DOES NOT CARRY VW 502 approval. So I will never use it while under warrantyl

T6 is inexpensive loads of Subie owners use that stuff, can buy that at walmart too for a good price. I dont use it because it doesn't carry the VW 502 approval.

My car is under warranty and I want an oil that holds up that carries the 502 approval and for the money there is no better oil than Castrol 0w40 IMO. My UOA's prove it so buy what you guys want. Just dont Mock Castrol if you have not used it. And I am not talking the 5w40 that the dealers put in. Not sure why people hate on Castrol for? Maybe the whole "Syntec" fiasco still haunts them from the 90's. Who knows. its good oil, from Germany, and is $5 a qt and meets OEM spec. Cant beat it.

Jeff

Last edited:

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Unless you've paid the dealer to do every oil change on the car, you have no proof that you actually used 502 oil, plus they don't have a lab that they send your oil off to for a molecular analysis to determine the brand of oil. The 502 "standard" doesn't mean it's some uber elite line of oil that is way better than anything else out there.. it just means that they paid VW's buy in fee to have the "testing" done, and to be listed as a suggested brand. It's all just marketing bullshit. Why do you think it says CASTROL on top of some of the oil caps? It was because Castrol paid VW a lot of money to do that

That said, UOA's tell the whole story.. So if you have ANY oil that comes back with a favorable UOA, then you're doing ok.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Unless you've paid the dealer to do every oil change on the car, you have no proof that you actually used 502 oil, plus they don't have a lab that they send your oil off to for a molecular analysis to determine the brand of oil. The 502 "standard" doesn't mean it's some uber elite line of oil that is way better than anything else out there.. it just means that they paid VW's buy in fee to have the "testing" done, and to be listed as a suggested brand. It's all just marketing bullshit. Why do you think it says CASTROL on top of some of the oil caps? It was because Castrol paid VW a lot of money to do that

That said, UOA's tell the whole story.. So if you have ANY oil that comes back with a favorable UOA, then you're doing ok.

I understand what your saying, same thing with my Evo 8 in 2003 had a Mobil 1 logo on the oil cap, but that doesn't mean Mobil 1 isn't bad oil? Or that it was the cheapest oil they could get? Maybe its the best oil they could find that everyone can get?

Same thing with VW. Who cares even if VW owned Castrol, Castrol Oil is good oil. When I had my valve cover leaking and crank sensor leaking they took a sample of my oil. What they did with it or whatever I dont know, but they did take a sample.

Every dealer works differently. What mine does is completely different than yours, but in my case? They look under my car for modifications, they scan the ECU for tunes, and pop open my air box even to check for the paper air filter. So if they are that picky??? I am using a 502 oil dont care what brand. The thing is, Amsoil, Redline and others do not carry the 502 approval. Sure companies can just pay for them, but they dont cost that much to get the approval so why not have it? People think its like MILLIONS to get an approval, more like Thousands. I think Amsoil and Redline both could afford it but dont.

The next closest dealer for me is 2 hrs away, and for warranty stuff like leaking water pumps, leaking oil seals and what not, I dont feel comfortable driving my car 2 hrs so I stick to my local dealer.

The bottom line is this. The oils people use that cost more like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Royal Purple, and so on, cost at mininal DOUBLE what the Castrol 0w40 costs me and after a 100k miles I am sure my half price oil will keep the engine just as clean, wear just the same as those oils costing double if not triple the price.

Thats all I am saying....

Jeff

FriggenT1

Banned
I understand what your saying, same thing with my Evo 8 in 2003 had a Mobil 1 logo on the oil cap, but that doesn't mean Mobil 1 isn't bad oil? Or that it was the cheapest oil they could get? Maybe its the best oil they could find that everyone can get?

Same thing with VW. Who cares even if VW owned Castrol, Castrol Oil is good oil. When I had my valve cover leaking and crank sensor leaking they took a sample of my oil. What they did with it or whatever I dont know, but they did take a sample.

Every dealer works differently. What mine does is completely different than yours, but in my case? They look under my car for modifications, they scan the ECU for tunes, and pop open my air box even to check for the paper air filter. So if they are that picky??? I am using a 502 oil dont care what brand. The thing is, Amsoil, Redline and others do not carry the 502 approval. Sure companies can just pay for them, but they dont cost that much to get the approval so why not have it? People think its like MILLIONS to get an approval, more like Thousands. I think Amsoil and Redline both could afford it but dont.

The next closest dealer for me is 2 hrs away, and for warranty stuff like leaking water pumps, leaking oil seals and what not, I dont feel comfortable driving my car 2 hrs so I stick to my local dealer.

The bottom line is this. The oils people use that cost more like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Royal Purple, and so on, cost at mininal DOUBLE what the Castrol 0w40 costs me and after a 100k miles I am sure my half price oil will keep the engine just as clean, wear just the same as those oils costing double if not triple the price.

Thats all I am saying....

Jeff

I am still under warranty, but it's not like with an aftermarket turbo that they will cover anything. Even APR recommends motol oil, so it must be OK. My t6 is doing just fine, and plenty of people have had oil analysis done to further prove (in 10k miles) that it works very well.