GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California smog check

done0908

Passed Driver's Ed
I am currently in APR stage 2 with APR downpipe. APR 1 & 2 intake.

Smog check is coming. Just need help to see anyone in California can pass the smog. with just back to stock intake and spacer on downpipe and set APR program to stock?

Thank you

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
I would say yes on all. The steps you're taking to pass. i usually make sure to drive in stock for about a few days. Only thing that would be of concern would be the visual. If they check the dp they could fail it for that.
Just swap it or take it to get smogged and hope they don't do visual on this part. I was lucky my first time with my Downpipe. On apr software as well.

Goodluck man

JDM713

Go Kart Champion
After a couple times of doing this I got sick of it and went back to mostly stock. It's a huge bummer!

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
I passed with flying colors with my stage 2 tune, stock down pipe, and stock intake. Hope this helps!

Another GIAC Stage 2 tuned MK6 GTI that passed smog. (All my bolt-ons are listed in my sig.) The only change I did was removed the CatchCan and placed the OEM PCV pipes back on because its very noticable. The smog place didn't care about my Neuspeed P-FLO or FMIC even though I told them they were smog exempt. My ECU passed all readiness codes :thumbup:

Results may vary as it seems like other company Stage 2 "tunes" simply do not pass readiness.
Another key factor is to try to find a smog place that will work with you when you explain your situation.

Good luck!

nicovase

So here in California, how often do we have to smog? I’ve been trying to figure it out for a while since I know my 2012 was smogged in 2015 when I bought it CPO. Ive read the DMV website but still didn’t understand haha. Can anybody put it in normal words for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
After the initial 6 years of the car's life it will need to be smogged. After that its every 2 years. All you really need to know is when they tell you to smog it, smog it. Since 2018 is the 6 year mark, expect DMV to notify you this year.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
After the initial 6 years of the car's life it will need to be smogged. After that its every 2 years. All you really need to know is when they tell you to smog it, smog it. Since 2018 is the 6 year mark, expect DMV to notify you this year.

Exactly and the above scenario would apply to an original owner of the vehicle.

If you are not the original owner and you are the second owner of a vehicle that has not reached the 6 year mark, then this applies....

If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the a smog certification was submitted within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.

Note - (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year - ie 2018-3 = 2015 is current qualifying year) the four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles.

So if you are buying a 2015 car a smog cert in Calif would not be required this year. However if you were buying a 2014 it would have to be smogged.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
After a couple times of doing this I got sick of it and went back to mostly stock. It's a huge bummer!

^^^^THIS^^^^^

What I did on my past cars. Now in SoCal they have checkpoints where they check for smog violations. So you pass smog, then go back to modified, drive through LA or San Diego, get in a line for what you think is a Boarder Patrol Check point or something, Next thing you know your being cited.

In California, it just really isn't worth having a modded car any longer. This state really knows how to take the fun out.

Ironically, Mexico which boarders us still burns tires and leaded paint, but guess that doesn't pass into our boarders now does it? So Silly.

Jeff

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
In California, it just really isn't worth having a modded car any longer. This state really knows how to take the fun out.

Jeff

In California, it just really isn't worth having a modded modern* car any longer.

Fixed that for ya. Meanwhile you can have a 1975 or older anything, with whatever modern engine you want, with zero limitations. Full tube chassis cars are out on the streets with twin turbo LS's, air conditioning, cruise control, and heated seats to boot.

CARB is a complete scam. Every other state / county in the entire country has a 25 year rule in place, in CA we are smogging 43 year old cars. We don't even safety checks our cars... why is it a 43 year old car would need to pass a sniffer for smog but you don't look for rust or even check if the brakes work? Seems legit.

To put things in perspective, in the past 5 years ~30% of ALL commuter vehicles and nearly 80% of all taxi cabs have been replaced by electric or electric hybrids, and of the gasoline cars left the majority have moved to pzev. But.. you know... that less then 1% of people daily driving those 1976 VW air cooled beetles better cough up the clean smog reports.

My suggestion, buy a sliver of land in a no smog county with a mailbox on it and register everything there.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
^^^^THIS^^^^^

What I did on my past cars. Now in SoCal they have checkpoints where they check for smog violations. So you pass smog, then go back to modified, drive through LA or San Diego, get in a line for what you think is a Boarder Patrol Check point or something, Next thing you know your being cited.

Ironically, Mexico which boarders us still burns tires and leaded paint, but guess that doesn't pass into our boarders now does it? So Silly.

Jeff

Those Roadside checks are voluntary, you can decline.