GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Manifold, Exhaust Leak

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Hello,

I have been experiencing rough idle and misfires on cold starts. As well as hearing a whistle at idle, low RPM and even high RPM. Took it to a shop and turns out my exhaust manifold gasket was leaking and even broken. So shop wants $800 to fix and I give the go ahead. Now shop says I have a broken stud and they have to extract the bolt which I believe. However they need to take the whole engine out. Is there anyone who can confirm that there isn't a way to extract the bolt with the engine still in the car? This $800 bill just turned into $2300.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
This is the scariest thing for me about putting on a k04. Try searching the forum here because ive seen other people post about this happening and its a huge pain in the ass because a few of the studs are hard to reach. One guy said he paid like $800 to have some pro bolt extractor lay on top the engine and work at it carefully with a dremel or something. Ive read of others having to remove the head to get it out. Maybe removing the engine is faster. I'll see if I can find the guy who paid someone to remove it because he was in SoCal IIRC.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I also have the exact same stud snapped. Driver side on the end.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I had this happen and tried to extract the bolt myself, and I ended up fucking the head up and needing a new head. Guess which one is was...that's right driver side on the end. I would find a shop that can extract it, instead of pulling the entire engine if possible. You will save a ton of money.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Either way gentlemen... ladies too... this is why I'm ditching this car, going mk7 and leaving it the f#@K alone other than jb4.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
2300? Did they break the bolt?
I took it in and he found a loose piece of my exhaust manifold gasket and handed it to me. Then said it's probably due to a broken stud. I trust these guys. They want to pull the engine because they haven't been able to extract bolts successfully with right angle anything I mentioned to try and pull the head and he said he'll talk about it with his techs and try the approach which guarantees the quickest fix.

2300 because they estimate 16 hours labor for engine pull and they already have 6 hours into it and an hour of diagnostic which I added to the estimate.

I'm also 100% stock at 92k miles. Otherwise reliable since 32k when my water pump shit the bed. I want to keep her till she's old. I really hope this fixes it.

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Update. The whole repair turned out to be about $1750 they had to pull engine to extract broken stud. They replaced the exhaust manifold gasket. There wasn't a huge amount of labor overlap for a carbon cleaning so I didn't get that. I'm just hoping for a p2015 so I can get it replaced for free and carbon cleaned for cheap. I have about 30k miles left on extended intake manifold warranty.

Edit: by pull the engine they drop the front axle and tilt the engine forward they don't actually lift the whole thing out.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Update. The whole repair turned out to be about $1750 they had to pull engine to extract broken stud. They replaced the exhaust manifold gasket. There wasn't a huge amount of labor overlap for a carbon cleaning so I didn't get that. I'm just hoping for a p2015 so I can get it replaced for free and carbon cleaned for cheap. I have about 30k miles left on extended intake manifold warranty.

Edit: by pull the engine they drop the front axle and tilt the engine forward they don't actually lift the whole thing out.

How much?! Jesus!

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I hope they checked to see if the manifold was warped. The stud that snapped on mine, that corresponding port on the maniold was warped.
I hope so too. I'm sure if they saw it they'd say something for more work?