GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The aftermarket headlights from the group buy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
AFter 6 months of use, i want to for-warn the rest of the community. Even though they may not come from Spyder, they are being sold by other vendors, they are exactly the same lights. I am copying this post here, so you do NOT waste your money on these. I feel that the vendors should know what they are selling and know that they have issues. Dont be duped like some of us here. I know i am going to get a bunch of "i told you so's" but alas i was your long term tester. Hopefully some others will not be swayed and make the same mistake. Vendors, im sorry, but as a manufacturer (i am BTW) you should know that you dont want to ruin your relationship with paying customers. I can see this as a BIG fallout. Please decide on your own what you want to do with these lights. Dont say you havent been warned later......because here it is.

EDIT : I had factory halogen, and yes they are plug and play

well im going to be brutally honest with you both on this. While i liked the lights at first, after some time of using them, i have issues with them now. So my suggestion is BUYER BEWARE.

NOW, i bought these through the group buy that was done here a while ago. http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14683

At first they worked as advertised. However the first thing to go was the driver side DRL circuit. Now the LED's still work when you turn the parking lights on, but do not work when in DRL mode. Projectors are actually pretty decent. They project well on to the road and have a wide adjustment range. There is a slight gap on some cars. dont know why mine dont have that gap, but others have said it has a gap. I took alot of time lining my units up, maybe that is a diference in the non-gap of mine. Dont really know.

The bulbs that come with the turn signals sucked. Had to replace them already, not a big deal, but still.

Now onto my biggest pet peeve.................the plastic front clear covers.

I have noticed over time that they have stress fractures inside the lenses, odd thing is you only can see them from angles. The only way you can see them is if your standing by the driver door looking forward to the headlights, you see a ton of weird looking crack. Now the plastic is not cracked, it is internal in the light lense itself. You used to be able to see it if the light was on only, however now, i can see it in plain daylight.

I will try and get photos of it, but lets just say i am less than pleased with the headlights. due to the cosmetic issues. Now putting light on to the road, it does wonders. Way more light focused to the road........that it does well. Honestly if you want my lights i will sell them for 150 plus shipping. That is the best i will do. Anything less than that, i would rather sledge hammer them and video tape it. I am trying to save enough money up to get the factory lights again, and do the mod to them like sukanas does, or i may just grab a set from him.

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22424

That is a link to what he does. I would rather you guys learn from my mistakes, and be happy with them. Spend a little more than they want on ebay for the Sukanas modification and enjoy your lights. I know i should have looking back on it now.

I have lost all faith in the Spyder lights. I am sure there will be a bunch of "i told you so's" coming my way, but hey i long term tested them for everybody else. I give them a C- on the report card.

The only thing that saved them from a F, is the actual light from the projectors and the adjustibility of them.

Last edited:

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i was considering buying these from parts4euro:

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?cPath=1_462_476&products_id=1275

are they the same ones you're referring to?
i can't check your link doesn't work.

weird the link doesnt work, here they are and yep same ones.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
damn. i really liked those, especially the smoked ones.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i fixed the link

and i have photos of the stress fractures coming......gonna host them and link them in. It seems to be where it passes the projector and it cant hadle the plastic bend. Plexiglass does this when heated too much also....it is like it crinkles

FROM THE FRONT:

NOW SEE THE CRINKLES?

It wasnt that easy to get that shot, you have to be at the right angle to see them, however if you get about 4 inches from the lenses you can visulally see them.

Last edited:

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
i have developed the same kind of crackling stress marks at the same spot on one of my projector lights, from the same GB. i noticed it a couple of weeks ago...

so very disappointed. guessing i'll have no recourse...

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
Good look.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i have developed the same kind of crackling stress marks at the same spot on one of my projector lights, from the same GB. i noticed it a couple of weeks ago...

so very disappointed. guessing i'll have no recourse...

yeah we got kinda duped..........how are your LED's holding up?? like i said before, my DRL is out on the driver side, and honestly i could fix it, but i really dont feel like it.

The plastic stress crinkles really piss me off though. :mad0259::mad0259:

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
no a group buy offered here about 6 months ago. may as well be though. I normally dont talk smack about a product unless it is warranted, and it is definitely warranted at this point.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Lots of aftermarket lights do this.

OEM or go home.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
yeah we got kinda duped..........how are your LED's holding up?? like i said before, my DRL is out on the driver side, and honestly i could fix it, but i really dont feel like it.

The plastic stress crinkles really piss me off though. :mad0259::mad0259:
DRL are doing fine so far... i'm definitely disappointed in the quality; i'm just not selling off my OEM lights, i have a friend who does retrofits, i may just do that once these are too far gone - i just hope that takes a good while longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.