GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I accept this offer?

Portside

Hi guys, I'm an international student here in U.S. and looking for leasing a gti. With my car traded-in($11,000), the monthly payment for 4dr base model (with bluetooth) is $99 for 36 month and the mileage limit is 18K per year.

Salesman didn't tell me exactly MSRP of this model but showed me a "similar" one for comparing: 2dr 36 month lease, msrp $24995, $289/ month, $1,999 down (excluding other fees), 12K mile annually.

So...:23:

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Theres no point at all to putting that much cash down on a lease.

If you but 11k down on a base you would finance around 12k which would be in the 150-200 dollar range and then you would own it.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie

If you but 11k down on a base you would finance around 12k which would be in the 150-200 dollar range and then you would own it.

I would look in to this option. You may pay more if you go the finance route, but you'd at least own the car and you could sell it/trade it in later for another car. If you lease, you're kinda throwing money away at the end of the day because you don't own anything.

misaka

Ready to race!
I have a 2011 Base 4door DSG. I put 0 money down, got wheel and rim insurance and rolled all the tax, title dealer fees etc payments into my lease. and I pay 399 a month x 36 months. = 14364.

You should structure your lease the way I did. Get a price for the lease, then trade in your car and have them pay you for the car. Put the money in a bank account and have the lease auto deduct every month from it. If they won't show you the math on your lease, go to another dealer. This way, if something happens to the car at all, ie you drive it off the lot and it gets totaled at the first place you stop at, you've lost 0 money since the insurance will pay off the car to VW etc. Also gives the dealership less room to mess with you in terms of lease numbers if they have to give it to you straight up.

Portside

Yes, but the problem is I don't want spend too much on monthly payment, I think I need to negotiate with them again about buying this car.

Portside

I would look in to this option. You may pay more if you go the finance route, but you'd at least own the car and you could sell it/trade it in later for another car. If you lease, you're kinda throwing money away at the end of the day because you don't own anything.

Right..

Portside

I have a 2011 Base 4door DSG. I put 0 money down, got wheel and rim insurance and rolled all the tax, title dealer fees etc payments into my lease. and I pay 399 a month x 36 months. = 14364.

You should structure your lease the way I did. Get a price for the lease, then trade in your car and have them pay you for the car. Put the money in a bank account and have the lease auto deduct every month from it. If they won't show you the math on your lease, go to another dealer. This way, if something happens to the car at all, ie you drive it off the lot and it gets totaled at the first place you stop at, you've lost 0 money since the insurance will pay off the car to VW etc. Also gives the dealership less room to mess with you in terms of lease numbers if they have to give it to you straight up.

Thanks for your reply! Right now I'd more likely to buy the car. The way I was thinking was to spend less money monthly, but I got nothing after 3 yrs. I'll consider trade-in and finance..

misaka

Ready to race!
Thanks for your reply! Right now I'd more likely to buy the car. The way I was thinking was to spend less money monthly, but I got nothing after 3 yrs. I'll consider trade-in and finance..

All up to you, because the net result is the same in the end tbh.

ie the 25k car is close to 28k with taxes/fee etc. if you pay 14k worth of lease, the residual value on the car after 3 years is 14k. So you'll have paid 28k, and have a car worth technically 14k. If you ended up leasing, you pay 14k to drive the car for 3 years, and don't have a car at the end. But if you had 28k and spent 14k on the lease, you'll still have 14k at the end of 3 years.

In the end it's very similar. The idea I took is, I planned originally to Lease to buy. This way, if you leased for 3 years and decide you want to keep the car, you just pay the remainder of the balace (14k) and buy the car outright at the end. The benefit of this is that you can evaluate the car and see if it is something you want to keep. It's a little more expensive, I estimated for me it would cost about 700$ more to lease then buy vs buy outright. But as much as I like the car, I think I'll go AWD next car, so in a way I'm glad I don't have to deal with the car after, because you have to haggle with the dealers about trade in value, vs if you just kept your money, you know how much your money is worth... ie they may not give you 14k for your car after 3 years etc.

On the other hand if you love the car, you can keep it then, and know how the car was treated/previous driver handled the car (you)