GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tint in tougher states questions(NJ)

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I'd be careful on going too dark in NJ, if you tint the windows at all. I've known quite a few people who have gotten pulled over for just tint in Jerz.

I tend to err on the side of 'not worth the trouble,' personally.

Hyun

Passed Driver's Ed
you guys are lucky . CA is 70% limitation in the front windows =(

My previous car was 35% all around plus 55% on my windshield... Now I'm 35% all around without windshield tint... Haven't been bothered with tint once... I guess if you don't drive around like an a hole and bring attention to yourself you should be fine... I know SFMTA will randomly ticket your car for no front plate while its parked, may even ticket you for tint (I've gotten the no plate ticket), they suck anyways

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Get it tinted in the state you are in, legally of course. Then get the paperwork/warranty work of that job proving the tint percentage and the laws of where you got tinted. Then don't worry about it. Cops will usually knock any ticket other than wreckless/careless driving down to a tint ticket as long as it is at the legal limit for the state purchaced in. I'm in FL so it is 28% front and 15% rear. I have 30 and 15 running on my car. I'll be moving soon, and don't plan on changing it. it is plenty light enough to see in during the day. As long as you turn on your interior lights when you get pulled over, and then put your hands on the wheel, No issues will be had.

barische

Go Kart Champion
I'm in NJ, by Toms River, and personally I think the tints are worth it. It's a $56 ticket (including convenience charge for paying online) and in my experience, and the experience of my friends, they're almost a get out of jail free card. Getting pulled over for a more serious offense (speeding, failure to stop, illegal turn) can usually be knocked down to a simple tint ticket if you leave your window up a little bit, as not to hide the tint from the officer, and be completely cooperative and cool with the cop that pulls you over. I've gotten two tint tickets this year, one resulting from doing 50 in a 30, and another from doing 90 in a 45 construction zone on the parkway here. I've honestly never heard of someone getting pulled over and getting a ticket for tints alone. If you do get pulled over because of your windows, I can promise you the cop is just checking to make sure nothing illegal is going on (i.e. you don't have a kilo of black tar on your passenger seat), and as long as everything is square, you'll be on your way.

So, aside from just the convenience of having them done for preference reasons (solar control, privacy, etc), they can be good for other things too. Just my opinion though. At the end of the day, they are still illegal.

follow that and also:

i got my 20% rear, 35% fronts tinted, no issues. got pulled over once for it, told the cop that im goin to my nursing home to serve dinner for the residents since short staffed and to write the ticket quick. he just let me go after he returned from checking my info. lol :23:

Just cuz its a law, doesnt mean u have to obey by it.. there are lots of stupid laws.

Inspection they couldn't give two shts if your windshield was cracked. They recently changed the state inspection to only check emissions. So as long as you have no codes and a cat, you're good to go.

yes, now they only check emissions

finallyamused

Ready to race!
I lived in Jersey for 10 years ('00-'10), and every car of mine had 15% tint all the way around. In those 10 years I would say I got about 8 tint tickets.

I mainly got them because I was speeding (5-10mph over, like everyone in NJ does) and instead of giving me a speeding ticket, I would usually get a warning, and a ticket for tint.

Bowthewow

Ready to race!
You cant tiny the front no matter what state. I know some states has a tint limit on sides. But im not gonna care. Tinting mine to 10% in a couple days.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
That's actually incorrect. Tint on the front is not allowed at all. Back and rear can be anything you want...

To clarify, when I say front, I mean front sides. In the state of CA, no tint is allowed on the front side windows at all.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
That's actually incorrect. Tint on the front is not allowed at all. Back and rear can be anything you want...

~70% happens to be the light transmittance value of the OEM glass on many makes and models. Believe it or not, the OEM glass is very slightly tinted for UV protection.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
~70% happens to be the light transmittance value of the OEM glass on many makes and models. Believe it or not, the OEM glass is very slightly tinted for UV protection.

Yes, but per California state law, the front and front side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting..

.phase

Ready to race!
3M Crystalline blocks 97% of the suns heat and is invisible. 600 bucks doe...

That's not quite right. It blocks 97% of Infrared. 38% Solar heat.

Still, having a clear film that rejects that much heat is better than having no film.

They use the stuff a lot on corporate buildings with windows. Bet it keeps the AC bill down quite a bit. :cool: