Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Yes, I did a Purchase an Extended Warranty

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Hookers

Votes: 10 9.0%

• Total voters

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Also interesting just to get a quote to see what the warranty company thinks of your prospective car purchase's reliability. 100,000 mile warranty on a VW GTI can be $2k+ while a Toyota RAV4 is $700 without even bargaining.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I am still waiting on a refund of my last extended warranty from Subaru on my 2012 WRX. I didn't purchase an extended warranty on the GTI though. I figured I could invest my Subaru refund and use the earnings to pay for any repairs that I might need to do versus paying for something that the warranty company would fight me on when it came time to actually USE the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
That wheel/tire package is particularly a joke since it won't cover curb rash.

Depends on which one you purchase. Mine does. Got it in writing.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I just financed my car after a 3 yr lease and bought a warranty as well. 6 year/60,000 miles. I just turned over 18,000 after 3 years of ownership and so far have been problem free but a little voice in my head questions how long my "problem free" streak will last and will it be something small or something BIG that breaks.

I have been on the fence about it ever since I purchased the warranty but it gives me a little piece of mind I guess if nothing else.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
I'm in this camp. Why do you think dealers sell extended warranties? To make profit. If they're making profit that means more people than not are losing money on the warranty purchase. I'll probably be in something else by 60k miles regardless and anything outside of the powertrain wouldn't be catastrophic.

All that said I'm still a bit bummed that my bumper to bumper will be gone in the next month. I'm at 34.5k miles..... I've yet to make a single warranty claim though.

Well, last I checked VW dealers are not non-profit organizations. They are essentially offering a form of auto insurance that you hope you will never have to use. Does it add to the price of the car and their profit margin, sure. But, I'd rather they offer it and stay in business than see dealerships close because they cannot make any money. I was told that GTIs and Golfs in general are VWs lowest profit margin vehicle in the U.S., which certainly factored into their decision to shift Golf manufacturing for North America to Mexico. They may pressure a buyer to get the extended warranty and act disappointed when you don't (my TDI salesperson practically cried as I held out), it is still your choice. I don't begrudge them for trying to improve their bottom line. Wow, I never thought I sound like such a corporate apologist.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I just purchased my car at the end of its lease and passed on the extended warranty.
It's a roll of the dice really.
I'm betting that any repairs I encounter will cost me less than the price of that warranty, or be covered under powertrain.
Considering my absurdly low mileage (13K after three years) and that fact that I will continue to accumulate mileage at or even at a lower rate given to where I just moved to in the past year - it was arisk I'm taking right now.
Couple that with the idea that I'll probably go and turn this MK6 in for a lease MK7 in a year.

This was my reasoning :thumbsup:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Its worth it if you're actually going to keep the car the duration of the warranty cycle. If not then don't get it.

I can't imagine paying for a timing chain tensioner or sunroof failure out of warranty. Prepare your anus.

46defense

Passed Driver's Ed
That's one car that's pretty much gauranteed to need 2 turbos and 3 HPFPs before 100,000 miles. At the price you paid, you may have created an exception to my rule.
That's exactly what it did for me, I couldn't turn it down. I've seen twice that for your average American car before! FWIW, Once they did the hpfp the first time they warrantied it to 100,000 miles right then and there! Then they put another one in on a different visit when it was still fine for no reason. Lol. Said they were told to do every one they see regardless

jni3

Ready to race!
The only time it would pay off on a car like this is a complete engine or tranny job.

had the entire transmission replaced on one of my cars (at the six year mark) which could've cost more than what i paid for my extended warranty.

Depends on which one you purchase. Mine does. Got it in writing.

mine does also.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
Out of all the new cars that my wife and I have owned over years, I've never had to get any repairs made under warranty. I've also never had to pay for any serious repairs after the manufacture warranty had expired.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I always pass on extended warranties and it's proven to be the right decision for me. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
For those who have the extra funds available should buy the extended warranty. I suggest those who havent researched car buying trends over the past 20-30 years do so now. As you may have heard from your elders, car salesmen were more honest back in the day and cars were built higher quality long last parts. Additionally, 3-5 year loans were unheard of then. 5-7 years seems to be the norm now. Quite sad. If you plan on keeping any car 3+ years imo you should get an "extended" warranty (which just so happens to be the same standard warranties on "older vehicles" of our time).

war·ran·ty (wôrn-t, wr-)
n. pl. war·ran·ties
1. Official authorization, sanction, or warrant.
2. Justification or valid grounds for an act or a course of action.
3. Law
a. An assurance by the seller of property that the goods or property are as represented or will be as promised.
b. The insured's guarantee that the facts are as stated in reference to an insurance risk or that specified conditions will be fulfilled to keep the contract effective.
c. A covenant by which the seller of land binds himself or herself and his or her heirs to defend the security of the estate conveyed.
d. A judicial writ; a warrant.
4. A guarantee given to the purchaser by a company stating that a product is reliable and free from known defects and that the seller will, without charge, repair or replace defective parts within a given time limit and under certain conditions.

Kad10

Passed Driver's Ed
7 year 100,000 mile warranty on literally everything but the leather and tires.

I shelled out SO.MUCH. on my C350 keeping it in perfect running condition and sold it with 149,000 miles. Not going that route again.