GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM hang after IE stage 2

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. Stage 1 is just so much nicer to drive...even with the IM. Really the only issue is the rpm jumping when starting off in 1st. My car did this when stock but Stage 1 fixes the issue. From what I have read there is no flash counter. I have reads guys saying they have flashed literally hundreds of times on the 2.5L so if there is it's more than the normal human would do. I have no intension of going back to stage 2 unless IE comes up with something better. It definitely doesn't have quite the same punch at stage 1 with the IM as stage 2 but it js better than stage 1 alone and so much nicer to drive.
To what extent is the high RPM power there with the Stage1 Tune?

ie. does it still pull from 5.5K +.

:thumbsup: You still the best, giving insight that no one else has.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Not really. It pulls well from 3k and is pretty linear all the way to the 7200 rev limit. Pulls harder than without the manifold but there is a noticeable difference between stage 1 and 2.

With the stage 2 there is two distinct levels. At 3k it starts pulling hard and then at 5500 it start pulling really hard. Basically 1 to 3K is like the significant other talking to you (albeit they're not making much sense and being difficult)...3K to 5K they're yelling at you....5K to 7.5K they're screaming and throwing things.

But with the manifold and stage 1 at 3K they're upset and raising their voice and gradually they start yelling but never get pissed enough to throw anything at you.

Stock they're reading a book and then they just fall asleep.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Not really. It pulls well from 3k and is pretty linear all the way to the 7200 rev limit. Pulls harder than without the manifold but there is a noticeable difference between stage 1 and 2.

With the stage 2 there is two distinct levels. At 3k it starts pulling hard and then at 5500 it start pulling really hard. Basically 1 to 3K is like the significant other talking to you (albeit they're not making much sense and being difficult)...3K to 5K they're yelling at you....5K to 7.5K they're screaming and throwing things.

But with the manifold and stage 1 at 3K they're upset and raising their voice and gradually they start yelling but never get pissed enough to throw anything at you.

Stock they're reading a book and then they just fall asleep.
:lol::lol::lol:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright. IE came through for me. Got an email back from them with some info and they compared stage 1 with stage 2 and made sure everyhing that didn't need to be changed was the same between the two. They said there were only a few difference they could find and they made the changes and put a new file for me on the server. Downloaded it with the flash tool and went for a drive. Much much better. Drives like I hoped it would initially. I'm not sure what was changed but it seems to have done the trick.

Having been a support tech and managed a tech support team for a few years. I was pretty happy with the response. Kudos IE.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm gonna drive instead of take the train to work today and see how the new version does. The commute is the perfect test. Going to work is 30 min med traffic and a toll road with some big hills and there are flat spots where there are no cops that I can get into the triple digits. The real test will be the drive home. An hour of stop and go Orange County hell. Actuall I'll just take PCH. An hour and some change of lots of lights and heavy traffic but at least its next to the ocean. And you get the occasional McLaren or lambo in the mix. Then there's lots of good looking Cali girls in their Range Rovers and BMers. It's a much more scenic drive.

It's a rough life for the the old golf....

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
:wub:
Alright. IE came through for me. Got an email back from them with some info and they compared stage 1 with stage 2 and made sure everyhing that didn't need to be changed was the same between the two. They said there were only a few difference they could find and they made the changes and put a new file for me on the server. Downloaded it with the flash tool and went for a drive. Much much better. Drives like I hoped it would initially. I'm not sure what was changed but it seems to have done the trick.

Having been a support tech and managed a tech support team for a few years. I was pretty happy with the response. Kudos IE.
:thumbup: This is great!

... lots of lights and heavy traffic but at least its next to the ocean. And you get the occasional McLaren or lambo in the mix. Then there's lots of good looking Cali girls in their Range Rovers and BMers. It's a much more scenic drive.

It's a rough life for the the old golf....
Ya Rough Life..... California here we come ... .

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright. Made it to work (somehow without the law getting involved). That was a fun drive. I'm sure I filled the catch can on that commute. Much smoother in 1st. Soo nice. Drives like a normal car. Well when you want it to anyway.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright. Made it to work (somehow without the law getting involved). That was a fun drive. I'm sure I filled the catch can on that commute. Much smoother in 1st. Soo nice. Drives like a normal car. Well when you want it to anyway.
WW, you've driven the car for a day to the woods, what's your final assesment of the IE SRI and Stage2 Tune after IE customized it for you. Is it worth it for daily driving or a pain in the A$$ in traffic.

From this I may decide to buy the Stage2 tune !

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
No it's fine now in traffic. It feels like they may have leaned it out a little. Before it would bog a bit until about 3k and then it was good. Now it seems to not bog and its a smoother transition through the rpm range but it feels like its lost some punch on the high end but I'll take it for a more driveable car. Its now what I was expecting in the first place. Worth it? If you have the manifold and what not already I guess it's like $650 with the flash tool. I would say it's worth it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
OK sounds like good food for thought!

Manifold no problem, and I like the idea of being able to flash back to stock with their flash tune.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
To expand on the above (sorry I was in the mnts and I try not to be on my phone much up there hence my short response). The car is way more driveable now. 0 - 80 is pretty quick and between 80 and 100 in 4th gear is great. Pulls very nice and has great pickup when you want to pass.

https://youtu.be/_OCu-g1o0YY - professional driver on a closed course :) i never drive over 65mph on public roads. This is also going slighy uphill.

When I say lost a little on the top end I took it up over 7000K and it felt like it was hesitating a bit which didn't happen before the v2 tune. Not that I make it a habit of going that high on my daily drive but I wanted to see if the 7200 rpm rev limiter was still there. It was not. I thInk you have a good chance of floating the valves if you take it too much into the 7k range. IE takes it to about 7800 in their video but I would bet that car has been built up more than just a manifold and tune. I would bet the valvetrain is not stock. I think eventually I will upgrade to IE's valve springs, retainers and seals as well.

Now that my testing phase is over I think I will be a little more gentle on the poor golf. With 72k miles on the car 7500 rpm is pushing it. Seems fine but I'm not gonna press my luck. I think you can take this thing to 6.5 to 7K pretty regularly with no issues.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
See what happens if you get dirt in your engine. This video made me laugh pretty hard and the comments are great to. Personally if I had to run without an air filter for a short while I wouldn't be too concerned, where I live anyway. I wouldn't want to drive the Alcan that way or anything though.

https://youtu.be/NwIjLECJmA8

New experiment....what happens when I dump spoonfulls of dirt into my engine stock vs stge 1 vs stage 2?

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
IE got back to me today about the flash counter and he said he thinks the 2.5L will flash 300+ times before it locks up.
Thanks, that's alot I cant see anyone flashing that many times.

See what happens if you get dirt in your engine. This video made me laugh pretty hard and the comments are great to. Personally if I had to run without an air filter for a short while I wouldn't be too concerned, where I live anyway. I wouldn't want to drive the Alcan that way or anything though.

https://youtu.be/NwIjLECJmA8

New experiment....what happens when I dump spoonfulls of dirt into my engine stock vs stge 1 vs stage 2?
Lol, you shouldsa posted this in the main forum.

This is what most of us with porous filters are doing to our engines.

Last edited: