GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM hang after IE stage 2

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
To expand on the above (sorry I was in the mnts and I try not to be on my phone much up there hence my short response). The car is way more driveable now. 0 - 80 is pretty quick and between 80 and 100 in 4th gear is great. Pulls very nice and has great pickup when you want to pass.

https://youtu.be/_OCu-g1o0YY - professional driver on a closed course :) i never drive over 65mph on public roads. This is also going slighy uphill.

When I say lost a little on the top end I took it up over 7000K and it felt like it was hesitating a bit which didn't happen before the v2 tune. Not that I make it a habit of going that high on my daily drive but I wanted to see if the 7200 rpm rev limiter was still there. It was not. I thInk you have a good chance of floating the valves if you take it too much into the 7k range. IE takes it to about 7800 in their video but I would bet that car has been built up more than just a manifold and tune. I would bet the valvetrain is not stock. I think eventually I will upgrade to IE's valve springs, retainers and seals as well.

Now that my testing phase is over I think I will be a little more gentle on the poor golf. With 72k miles on the car 7500 rpm is pushing it. Seems fine but I'm not gonna press my luck. I think you can take this thing to 6.5 to 7K pretty regularly with no issues.
OK WW, it's been a week since you fell in love with it, how's it in traffic and gas milage in daily driving ? Again you the first to give a report. :D

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
So far so good. The car runs great. Still a little touchy on the trottle in stop in go traffic but it's not bad (better than it was stock). Gas mileage is highly variable. If I really get on it I can basically watch the gas needle go down. The main issue is I like driving in 4th on the freeway at the 3k mark so I can pass without dropping a gear. That kills my mpg. I averaged 35mpg yesterday driving in 5th at like 70mph the whole 35 mile commute. I don't trust my MFD gas consumption stats though. I think they are way off. I am getting 350 miles per tank. That's 25mpg on average but I am by no means trying to conserve fuel so I think that's pretty good.

I just happened to be on ebay and was looking to see if there were any IE intake manifolds or valve covers out there that I was going to point people in the direction of and I happened to spot a set of NIB IE valve springs for like half the price. I bought them and looked at the seller. It was the same guy I got all my other IE stuff from. Ha. Funny. Anyway thats my next project. I think if you are gonna take the car past redline it would be wise to upgrade the springs. Floating the valves is not good. I really don't want my valves and pistons to get to friendly. No kissing on the job.

Otherewise the car runs awesome. I'm really happy with the outcome.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So far so good. The car runs great. Still a little touchy on the trottle in stop in go traffic but it's not bad (better than it was stock). Gas mileage is highly variable. If I really get on it I can basically watch the gas needle go down. The main issue is I like driving in 4th on the freeway at the 3k mark so I can pass without dropping a gear. That kills my mpg. I averaged 35mpg yesterday driving in 5th at like 70mph the whole 35 mile commute. I don't trust my MFD gas consumption stats though. I think they are way off. I am getting 350 miles per tank. That's 25mpg on average but I am by no means trying to conserve fuel so I think that's pretty good.

I just happened to be on ebay and was looking to see if there were any IE intake manifolds or valve covers out there that I was going to point people in the direction of and I happened to spot a set of NIB IE valve springs for like half the price. I bought them and looked at the seller. It was the same guy I got all my other IE stuff from. Ha. Funny. Anyway thats my next project. I think if you are gonna take the car past redline it would be wise to upgrade the springs. Floating the valves is not good. I really don't want my valves and pistons to get to friendly. No kissing on the job.

Otherewise the car runs awesome. I'm really happy with the outcome.
Good thought on the springs but from what I know the cam profile is mild at best, so actually less of a chance to float them but I understand your concerns.

You have the long post 2011 gearing in your car, my 2010 is at 3K in 5th at low highway speeds. Unfortunately I don't have the car right now to tell what the speed actually is.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
True having an aggressive cam profile will make valve float more likely at high rpm but the spring will have issue keeping up with the rpm regardless when you start getting up well beyond the designed rpm range. Only reason I was even concerned with it is I had an issue up towards 75k. It was hard to tell if it was a fuel issue but it felt like the valves were potentially starting to float so I backed off quickly. I did some research and it seems that is not uncommon on the golf. It's very common on the gti and R. Regardless running at higher rpm all the time has got to wear on things and the springs would seem to me to take the bulk of that abuse.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
This week I'm planning to order the IE Stage2 Tune and get the little IE Dongle thingy as well so I can switch back and forth.

I need to address the only question you haven't, the performance of the Stage2 Tune with the stock intake manifold. The Stage2 Tune has a gold mine of tuning done from 2.5k to 5.5k due to the lack of intake runner length so want to know how it does with the stock runners present, ... or shortened runners.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Haven't tried it. Looks like you will be doing some experimenting of your own. When you buy the tune make sure you get stage 1 and 2. When you buy stage 1 you can upgrade to stage 2 for the price difference between the two so to me it makes sense that if you buy stage 2 you would get stage 1 as well but I bet you have to ask for it that way. Anyway you should make sure to get both so if stage 2 isn't ideal you can run stage 1. Stage 1 works awesome with the stock manifold. I imagine stage 2 would be similar but without the rev limiter (raised to 7200 on stage 1. Trust me I checked). Not sure what the rev limit is on stage 2, or if there even is one, but I was into the 75-76k a few times and there didn't seem to be one.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Haven't tried it. Looks like you will be doing some experimenting of your own. When you buy the tune make sure you get stage 1 and 2. When you buy stage 1 you can upgrade to stage 2 for the price difference between the two so to me it makes sense that if you buy stage 2 you would get stage 1 as well but I bet you have to ask for it that way. Anyway you should make sure to get both so if stage 2 isn't ideal you can run stage 1. Stage 1 works awesome with the stock manifold. I imagine stage 2 would be similar but without the rev limiter (raised to 7200 on stage 1. Trust me I checked). Not sure what the rev limit is on stage 2, or if there even is one, but I was into the 75-76k a few times and there didn't seem to be one.
The dongle will take a while to get here to Canada but going back to South Carolina at the end of June for at least a month, so have to decide on where to send the dongle.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
The dongle will take a while to get here to Canada but going back to South Carolina at the end of June for at least a month, so have to decide on where to send the dongle.
Let me know how that goes, I was looking at that one too.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Let me know how that goes, I was looking at that one too...
OK no problem if you can wait.

There are no Integrated Engineering Dealers in or around Toronto but EU Autowerks in Vaughn is a United Motorsport (UM) Dealer. They are a very good shop, I used to take my Porsche there for service when it was newer but they cater more to higher end cars than VW. Kinda sad as I think UM could do more business if they had another dealer. Lol from my electronics background I know I could do it for them but I'd have to work out of my Buddy's shop.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
OK no problem if you can wait.

There are no Integrated Engineering Dealers in or around Toronto but EU Autowerks in Vaughn is a United Motorsport (UM) Dealer. They are a very good shop, I used to take my Porsche there for service when it was newer but they cater more to higher end cars than VW. Kinda sad as I think UM could do more business if they had another dealer. Lol from my electronics background I know I could do it for them but I'd have to work out of my Buddy's shop.
Yeah, I think I got quoted 400 from EU Autowerks. Price was based on 2 cars, one of my buddies had a golf 2.5, but then he upgraded to a GTI.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks WW, I'm in talks with a Chump Car Race Team they like some of the things you wrote. They running a Rabbit in the Chump Car Series need the car to pull harder up top, so just sold one of the first hacked Intake Manifolds that I customized with 2 inch ABS plumbing parts, it maybe OK as they using crank case breather, so the oil won't kill the ABS parts. They going to go test and get back to me. This hacked IM worked good on track for me, it maybe working GREAT if I had the IE Stage 2 installed.

They using Malone Tune currently tho.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
IE V3 Dongle :thumbsup:

I was talking to Chris at Integrated Engineering via email we couldn't get the order for Stage2 done before the weekend, so earliest that he prolly gets back to me would be Tuesday after Memorial Day (Monday).

WW, thanks for doing all the experimenting, shows that the IE V3 Dongle is the way to go, as you can swith to the different stage Tunes and back to stock, good choice for those of us who have to take into consideration emissions testing to keep our cars licensed.

"Special" Intake Manifold coming, stay tuned. No pun intended

BTW: For the guys in Toronto, Someone recently mentioned that the United Motorsport 2.5 Tune at EU Autowerks in Vaughn no longer available from them.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
The tool has been great. So far my only complaint with the flash tool is it is really tight to get on the OBD2 port but I guess once it's on I don't have to worry about it falling off. Also to get the software to recognize the tool I have to open the software without the tool plugged in and let it fail the initial check and then plug the tool in and hit retry. May be unique to my install but thought I would mention it in case anyone has a similar experience.

good for those of us who have to take into consideration emissions testing to keep our cars licensed.

Here in California they can pull you over if they think you are modified and give you a fix-it ticket which will require a smog. That's why my preference for the stock tdi look and why I leave the exhaust alone. The car is loud enough with just the intake and the tune. I am still surprised at how much louder the tune makes the car. Stock tune with IM was way quiter than stage 1 or 2. I meant to check but forgot to see if it would pass smog readiness with stage 2 and all stock components. I think it will although it is probably best to just flash back to stock.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Worked with Chris at IE to purchase Stage2. I'm not sure when I can Flash Stage2 on the Golf to try it, as my Son uses the Golf all the time, or so it seems.

I sold my best hacked Intake Manifold to the Chump Car Team, they seemed happy enough so its not coming back. Its cheap free HP and fits the low budget of the Series, buying and IE SRI and/or Tune would exceed the budget of the Series. I may have to make another one to try... . Will have to wait until August when I get back from hanging out on the beach in SC tho.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Got the Integrated Engineering V3 Flash Tool dongle, Stage2 Tune paid for and waiting at IE; BUT getting P0327 knock sensor error codes since washing the engine, so can't try flashing until that's resolved.