GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is a Stage 1 tune for a 2.5L worth it?

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
I've been pricing up tunes for a little while now and don't know if it's really worth the 400-500 bucks. Can anyone who HAS their car tuned give me some insight? Can you feel a difference? do you notice better fuel milage?

twodotfive

Ready to race!
I've been pricing up tunes for a little while now and don't know if it's really worth the 400-500 bucks. Can anyone who HAS their car tuned give me some insight? Can you feel a difference? do you notice better fuel milage?

In short: no. Not for 400-500 bucks.

There is a difference but not $500 worth. Picked up more torque and driveability was better.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Generally speaking, an ECU tune for a stock, naturally aspirated engine is not going to get you much in terms of horsepower or torque.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Generally speaking, an ECU tune for a stock, naturally aspirated engine is not going to get you much in terms of horsepower or torque.

^^this

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!

I call bulls**t on that hogwash article.

Firstly, and most importantly, EVERYONE says that an increase in only a few HP cannot really be felt in real world use. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. says that. There are hundreds of pages worth of threads with posters debating the benefits of adding a single aftermarket part to their cars to get five HP here 6 HP there, and how it's largely a waste of money. On top of that, the idea that someone could feel a few HP increase and say that their car gained more "pep" is placebo effect at full force. You'll never find a test like the one you posted that uses a double-blind standard. Therefore you will never find an accurate test that shows that higher octane in a car not designed for it gains any real world benefit over cost.

Secondly, we've had multiple discussions on here about how higher octane can be beneficial in high heat situation (long, high speed road trips). But, those scenarios do not match average use by average drivers and so cannot be claimed to be universally applicable (like ones with meaningless peak gain numbers).

Thirdly, lines like:

-"The logic experts use to justify their claims..." / "To test the "premium gasoline is a waste of money" theory..."

-"If you want standard performance use standard gasoline. But if you want premium performance, pay for premium gas."

-"The P-Flo intake took the Jetta to the next performance level by eliminating the airflow limitations in the stock airbox. Throttle response and power were significantly increased, plus the induction growl under the hood added to the sportier feel.

make that article sound like it was bought and payed for. "Experts use to justify their claims"? It's the people insisting that 91 is worth spending money on that are trying to justify claims. That very article is trying to justify a claim. And, using the word "theory" is just f**ked up. The theory is that 91 is beneficial, not that 91 isn't. There's no such thing as a theory that something doesn't do something. You can't prove a negative - you can't have a theory of not-something.

I could post countless sites by actual professionals (including technical experts from Toyota, Nissan, etc) saying that it's not worth spending the money on premium. But, all I really need to do to prove it is ask this question:

If a manufacturer could have better marketing using a higher HP rating on their cars and be able to claim an even higher MPG rating (probably the most important number of all for marketing) why would any car, that is being claimed to gain a financially worth while performance benefit by people who do not work for a automotive manufacturer, be built to use 87 octane and also have an included recommendation of using 87 octane?

J R Dub

Anyone have meaningful info to add? I'm in between Malone and C2 Motorsports myself. Plus, the tunes are listed at roughly $300 so where is the extra $200 coming from?

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
From what I know, and from the good information is on this thread, you will get a slightly better throttle response, but won't gain really much in the way of HP. So, for most people, it isn't worth the cost for very little gain.

And I'm guessing the OP's original cost of $400-500 is because he is in Canada, but that is just my guess.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
İts not worth to tune an n/a motor, ull only get about 10 hp with more octane which will basically feel like putting lightweight wheels.

Bang of buck power upgrades:
Turbo -> tune
NA motors -> headers (which u will get about the same as u get tune for turbo engine)

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
like everyone else said, a tune for a NA engine isn't going to yield that much power. you'll be better of improving the cars performance by getting sway bars or springs