GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I just had the firewall blanket on my car and it is so nice. The cheap shitty piece of insulation the early mk6 cars have basically fall apart and hang down. It drove me crazy. This was the best $150 I ever spent.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I just had the firewall blanket on my car and it is so nice. The cheap shitty piece of insulation the early mk6 cars have basically fall apart and hang down. It drove me crazy. This was the best $150 I ever spent.

Agreed, my firewall blanket and hood blanket STILL look brand new and wash down very well.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I did (recently), I was just saying how it literally still looks new. The fabric used on all heat management products for the VW / Audi crowd is such high quality, dirt/heat/cleaning does not affect it.

Dang! I was hoping the sale fell through. Carry on.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Can I install the turbo "blanket" on the car or do I need to take the turbo off first? Mine is a awd and it's a pain to take out the turbo.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
I really like this product, and will probably end up buying it.

With that said, curiosity requires I ask: couldn't a $20 roll of exhaust tape loosely (but thoroughly) wrapped around the turbo achieve the same thing as this turbo blanket?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Just put on the turbo blanket today. It is definitely a tricky and time consuming process for turbos already on the car.

After removing belly pan, intake and intake pipes, and the heat shield that sits above the exhaust manifold, I pushed the turbo blanket up from underneath the car as a test fit and to see what space I had to work with. If you really want to give yourself maximum room, you may want to remove the downpipe and drive shaft and other parts. I did not.

Because of the limited space on the underside of the turbo and exhaust, I decided to mount the bottom first. I attached the binding wires to the portion of the blanket that mounts under the exhaust manifold. With the top of the blanket pushed back against the firewall for full view of the top of the manifold, I fished the binding wires up through , and around the manifold. Using the wires, I pulled the bottom of the blanket snug to the underside of the manifold. At that point it was easy to tie down the top of the turbo blanket, so everything was snug.

The toughest part is the side of the blanket closest to the cold side of the turbo. There is a coolant pipe there that is very close to the manifold and you have to shimmy the top left of the blanket (if you viewing from the front of the car) between that pipe and the manifold.

After the first few drives, it is a little smelly, but should go away. Turbo spool does feel faster and under-hood temps are improved. I like that it offers an extra layer of insulation between exhaust manifold and intake piping.

Thanks to Hyde for the photos! I studied them very closely during the install. I will snap a few of my install tonight.

So just to confirm (and resurrect a dead thread) you didn't remove the coolant or oil lines to the turbo? Also is this a K04 or IHI turbo you installed it on? I'm looking to DIY on IHI turbo so if its possible to leave those lines connected, even if it makes it harder, I'd prefer that option.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Welp. I bought one, found a deal I couldn't pass up. I'll be installing it with the turbo on the car. Hoping this amongst other things I'm doing helps my heating issue on the track.

Hope you have better luck than I did when installing mine while on the car. Space is tight and visibility is pretty limited in there. It does seem to be worth the effort though.

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
I bought an old K03 from this forum and had it rebuilt and had it ported/polished/ceramic coated from Socal Porting and did a PTP turbo blanket. Got the blanket on a black friday deal from PTP. It has helped a lot with under hood temps with the blanket on there.

Jason from EngineeringExplained and the Humble Mechanic did a great vid on PTP blankets a few days ago. They referenced a U of T at Austin study that is on the PTP site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFeaNGDnOk&t=55s

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1DKgBxqE0JEME5wQ1pIc1N5dU0/edit?pli=1

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
2 years later and I still haven't installed this thing. Mostly because the car was down and I was focused on other things. That and I hate the fiberglass stuff getting all over me. I'm getting the car ready for the season now though and think I'll throw this on. I'll probably undo the motor mounts and put the engine on the hoist to bring it forward in the engine bay and give myself some more access room.