GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$1000

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
If you have a manual transmission do not go past stg 1 power levels without being fully prepared to upgrade your clutch to a high performance after market unit.

I did an intake and suspension for under $1000 and was pretty happy.

I would recommend the stg1 and a rear sway bar, and for another $600 new tires.

V & VI

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have a manual transmission do not go past stg 1 power levels without being fully prepared to upgrade your clutch to a high performance after market unit.

I did an intake and suspension for under $1000 and was pretty happy.

I would recommend the stg1 and a rear sway bar, and for another $600 new tires.

So can a VAG clutch cope with the stage one OK then? I'm nervous it'll be toast if I do any power mods!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Stage One.
Summer tires.

Blueteam

Ready to race!
I say glue gun if you got a turbo and just seal up that pesky divertervalve or blow off...

lets all that air pressure out robbing tons of usable horsepower...

Thats a Blueteam stage 1 mod..

Stage two requires a pile of spam, a golf club, and a rubber chicken.

Fordson

Ready to race!
Ding ding ding ding

Well, except that you're not going to GET stage 1 and summer tires for $1k.

I would do stage 1 and Modshack intake. That would allow you up to about a hundred bucks for labor on the tune, if you can't find a shop that does it for free. That will leave you about $50.

For the next $1k, a set of summer tires - realistically, a set of Pilot Super Sports on the stock suspension is going to do more for handling than coilovers or lowering springs on the stock tires. That will leave you around $125.

Now take the $175 and get better brake pads (some careful shopping needed here).

There - for two grand, vastly improved acceleration, braking and handling. And those are mods you can build upon - they're not dead-end mods that you will outgrow with other mods.

If you can sell your stock A/S tires (if they're pretty new - OP has only 30 posts on here) for say $300, that's a nice start toward lowering springs.

I am assuming from the OP's tune-and-coilover starting point that he is talking about performance mods, not LED license plate lights and that sort of thing.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Tint, LED Tail Lights, Lowering Springs, Alignment ( Visual Mods )

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
Which coilovers would you get at this price point?

Get stainless coils for Canadian winters.

I (along with many norther US guys), have HPA...but KW V1's are good too. You're over 1K with both of these, but if you get something cheaper, they will rust.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
So can a VAG clutch cope with the stage one OK then? I'm nervous it'll be toast if I do any power mods!

Yes it will handle stage 1 power, is the short answer.
Some people have experienced clutch failure with no mods so it dose indicate that VW's clutch assemblies are not the best.

The issue with stg2 is the added torque from the after market down pipe, 20+ lb feet of added torque at various if not all of the rpm range is going to put a lot more stress on your tiny OEM vag clutch unit.

And from my understanding VW will replace your stock clutch under warante if it starts slipping even with a stg 1 or 2 car. I hade some issues with motor mounts and my friend / service writer for VW said the issue was clutch related and they would be happy to tear it apart but because my clutch is not OEM they would not warrantee the work or parts. had the clutch been the OEM unit it would be included in the warante.

The catch 22 to having VW replace a slipping OEM clutch on a stg2 or higher car is that likely within a very short period of driving under WOD your "new" OEM clutch will fail again.

Yes some peoples OEM clutch can hold stg2 even k04 without slipping (these are rare cases)

Most mk6 gti's OEM clutch disk/assembly including my own failed immediately after going to stg2 power.

As for a aftermarket clutch upgrade there are a few choices,
1.Drop in disk to be used with the OEM dual mass flywheel $400
2.clutch disk, pressure plate and single mass lightened flywheel. $1200-$1500.
Labor for the clutch should be around six hours $90- $140 per hour.

thread jack over.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
First mod eh? LSD > *

You won't be able to get one (new) installed for $1k though, so just ignore my post.

V & VI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it will handle stage 1 power, is the short answer.
Some people have experienced clutch failure with no mods so it dose indicate that VW's clutch assemblies are not the best.

The issue with stg2 is the added torque from the after market down pipe, 20+ lb feet of added torque at various if not all of the rpm range is going to put a lot more stress on your tiny OEM vag clutch unit.

And from my understanding VW will replace your stock clutch under warante if it starts slipping even with a stg 1 or 2 car. I hade some issues with motor mounts and my friend / service writer for VW said the issue was clutch related and they would be happy to tear it apart but because my clutch is not OEM they would not warrantee the work or parts. had the clutch been the OEM unit it would be included in the warante.

The catch 22 to having VW replace a slipping OEM clutch on a stg2 or higher car is that likely within a very short period of driving under WOD your "new" OEM clutch will fail again.

Yes some peoples OEM clutch can hold stg2 even k04 without slipping (these are rare cases)

Most mk6 gti's OEM clutch disk/assembly including my own failed immediately after going to stg2 power.

As for a aftermarket clutch upgrade there are a few choices,
1.Drop in disk to be used with the OEM dual mass flywheel $400
2.clutch disk, pressure plate and single mass lightened flywheel. $1200-$1500.
Labor for the clutch should be around six hours $90- $140 per hour.

thread jack over.

Many Thanks! To OP - sounds like a Stage 1 (done well) for part of your $1k would be a good start!

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
If I only had $1000 I would go stg.1 & save until I could afford a decent suspension. Don't forget with an after market suspension, you still need a install and alignment.