GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Suspension Theory and Modification Thread

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
So i am picking up a set of Bilstien PSS10 next week chances are i wont lower it any more than 1.4 inches since i daily this. So are far as other components to the set up i was going to pick up some Front and rear sways and some adjustable end links.

From what i have read this is a good idea but i in all honesty i cant find any simple answers to me question. Should i or should i not?

Car is driven only 10 miles a day with occasional highway trips once every 2-3 months.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
From what i have read this is a good idea but i in all honesty i cant find any simple answers to me question. Should i or should i not?
Should I what?
Bilstein is a good idea, as are sway bars, TT mounts, TT/S3 bushings,
good summer tires and proper alignment. Sway bar links? Depends on.

Stinger

Ready to race!
I know The Bruce swears by the Powergrid endlinks and I bought them on his advice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I like them much for a few reasons:
1. they are one more thing to adjust in an already complicated dynamic of rims/wheels/tires/alignment/sway bars/shocks/springs/etc. When something isn't quite right, the endlink shouldn't be part of the possible problem.
2. their adjustment isn't simple. My original set (co. sent me a replacement) snapped after less than 3 months and I still don't know why. I do know that VW charged me $300 to re-install the stock ones. But I did install the replacements that are still on my car.
3. depending on how they are adjusted, they will have a significant effect on drivability and I'm not sure endlinks are supposed to do that (still concerned with the snapped one). I can certainly see their worth on the track, but what't the point of adjusting endlinks on a dd? Once set, they aren't adjusted and so why not stick to the stock endlinks...

Just my viewpoint. And I continue to read and take The Bruce's great advice!

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I know The Bruce swears by the Powergrid endlinks and I bought them on his advice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I like them much for a few reasons:
1. they are one more thing to adjust in an already complicated dynamic of rims/wheels/tires/alignment/sway bars/shocks/springs/etc. When something isn't quite right, the endlink shouldn't be part of the possible problem.
2. their adjustment isn't simple. My original set (co. sent me a replacement) snapped after less than 3 months and I still don't know why. I do know that VW charged me $300 to re-install the stock ones. But I did install the replacements that are still on my car.
3. depending on how they are adjusted, they will have a significant effect on drivability and I'm not sure endlinks are supposed to do that (still concerned with the snapped one). I can certainly see their worth on the track, but what't the point of adjusting endlinks on a dd? Once set, they aren't adjusted and so why not stick to the stock endlinks...

Just my viewpoint. And I continue to read and take The Bruce's great advice!

from what i understand though once you lower your car you create a preload on the sway bar using endlinks meant for a car with stock ride height. Though by getting shorter or adjustable end links you can rid yourself of preload.....preload..hah

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
I don't think I've ever seen Bruce swear by powergrids. I thought that was danzk1?

But Bruce's input on aeroodynamics, suspension, and brakes are so awesome for the community.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Iv got a set of FK Streetline coilovers on my 2.5L When installed they changed the top mounts but not the strut mounts. This thing sounds like a jack-in-the-box when I turn to the left and right because the spring is binding\jumping. If I put in new strut mounts will this solve my problem? I just don't want to spend couple hundred dollars installing them if the noise will still be there.

Thanks.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Iv got a set of FK Streetline coilovers on my 2.5L When installed they changed the top mounts but not the strut mounts. This thing sounds like a jack-in-the-box when I turn to the left and right because the spring is binding\jumping. If I put in new strut mounts will this solve my problem? I just don't want to spend couple hundred dollars installing them if the noise will still be there.

Thanks.

I think you're referring to the strut bearing, and that should solve your problem :thumbsup:

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
I think you're referring to the strut bearing, and that should solve your problem :thumbsup:

Thanks, going to mechanic this Saturday to get the strut bearings installed. 200 is what he is charging me, I'm hoping this will fix the noise.