GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Swap a MK5 Armrest Console in an MK6

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
I love the RCD 330 unit absolutely amazing.
I would recommend buying the latest 187 version comes with carplay, android auto and a rear usb.
And also newest Noname version has ability to update firmware and mess with custom firmware

I have the 187B version by Desay and I don't get android auto (no biggie for me since apple)
And I also had to solder directly to the unit's PCB to get a rear usb.
This process makes the front USB not usable but can regain functionality if unsolder rear usb and revert.

I'm going to have to reopen the unit to add a rear aux so I'll take pictures.

The unit is responsive 99% of the time, I did have it shit bricks once were it started lagging like crazy but resolved itself on next start up after a few minutes off.

With apple carplay and android auto its mainly a dock for your phone so I would imagine performance in these areas to be limited to your device to some extent.

If your not using these features its still a decent radio but nothing too special.

I had an android head unit before this and absolutely hated the laggy and inaccurate gps. Now I can use google maps through carplay and much better.

Steering wheel controls all work, however it took my unit a day before they started working. Not sure if it went through some learning process or what. I do not use the unit as a phone charger as it does not have fast charge capabilities, It will give you some juice when using carplay but I have a fast charge usb port in my 12V outlet to survive those critical moment, at those points I just connect to unit through bluetooth.

The unit has built in bluetooth that does not talk to the cars bluetooth, assuming you already have a bluetooth equipped car. I believe this disables the answer call button near the sunglass holder? I haven't tested usually don't answer calls when driving. I have taken a call with the unit once and they had no problem hearing me.
Can you elaborate on the rear USB plug all the 187b I have seen have no usb in the rear. Unless you solder the USB to the PCB. I wouldn't mind swapping by no name 187b for a upgraded unit with built in USB in the rear

Sent from my Pixel 2

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Can you elaborate on the rear USB plug all the 187b I have seen have no usb in the rear. Unless you solder the USB to the PCB. I wouldn't mind swapping by no name 187b for a upgraded unit with built in USB in the rear

Sent from my Pixel 2

None of the 187B have it, I believe some 187C? or E versions do.
These are already hard enough to find, I've only come across one and it was priced at like $450.

I wouldn't upgrade the unit for that, not when adding one is simple to do.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Following up on this.
So I received console after a long process of ECS sending me wrong part and then having to use the slowest shipping to return.
And this job is much more involved then initially expected.

The problem is that you have to change out the air duct pipe as well under the console.
Duct w/ MDI: 1k0864255
Duct for no MDI: 1k0864255C

And of course to remove that air duct you basically have to tear down the entire console portion.
Current state of my car:
switch.jpg

The easiest thing to do is tear down the entire center portion like you would with the euro cup holder install.
I got away with just pulling the back portion but this required a lot of patience and manipulation of the parts.
Also had to temporarily disconnect E. handbrake and remove passenger seat to get access to one bolt.
Nothing ended up getting damaged but I can easily see it happening if you take the short cut route like me.

Need to pick up the correct air duct from the dealership and create a USB extension wire and Ill be done finally.

warvanov

Following up on this.
So I received console after a long process of ECS sending me wrong part and then having to use the slowest shipping to return.
And this job is much more involved then initially expected.

The problem is that you have to change out the air duct pipe as well under the console.
Duct w/ MDI: 1k0864255
Duct for no MDI: 1k0864255C

And of course to remove that air duct you basically have to tear down the entire console portion.
Current state of my car:

The easiest thing to do is tear down the entire center portion like you would with the euro cup holder install.
I got away with just pulling the back portion but this required a lot of patience and manipulation of the parts.
Also had to temporarily disconnect E. handbrake and remove passenger seat to get access to one bolt.
Nothing ended up getting damaged but I can easily see it happening if you take the short cut route like me.

Need to pick up the correct air duct from the dealership and create a USB extension wire and Ill be done finally.

Damn, that's a lot of hoops to jump through for a little bit of extra storage. I had strongly considered doing this myself but if the cost wasn't enough of a deterrent the hassle certainly is.

I picked up the single DIN dash pocket to replace the MDI unit and it arrived today. I'm going to replace it tomorrow and while the end product might not be as nice as yours it should at least give me a little bit more storage space.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
^^Yikes

Is/was this really worth all the hassle?

I probably wouldn’t recommend it for most.
But I genuinely like the end product.
Wasn’t a hard task, just more involved than initially anticipated.

But I mean relative to the euro cup holder that was much more of a hassle with even less payoff.

Damn, that's a lot of hoops to jump through for a little bit of extra storage. I had strongly considered doing this myself but if the cost wasn't enough of a deterrent the hassle certainly is.

I picked up the single DIN dash pocket to replace the MDI unit and it arrived today. I'm going to replace it tomorrow and while the end product might not be as nice as yours it should at least give me a little bit more storage space.

A bit more might be just what you need.
I committed to the switch aha.

Pics of install:
New vent duct on left
091DA48C-3178-49D8-90C7-62CD661B083E.jpeg
EB7741CA-2CE5-4D14-A971-939481DDE971.jpeg
CE4558CA-FF4C-43FF-8608-34B131E5AEEA.jpeg