GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket wheels + stock suspension

parklud612

So I am making quite a bit more money this summer as a college student and wanted to get a new set of wheels for my mk6 gti. I’ve only had the stock Detroit’s on and I wanna get a new look. What I’m asking is what size wheel and tire should I get to fit perfect and flush and will possibly get rid of a little wheel gap. Preferably I’d wanna get 18in wheels.

If you guys could help me in any way, that’d be greatly appreciated and if you guys have any suggestions for wheels to get let me know!

Looking to get a set of gloss black wheels in a more sporty style, kinda like the f1r f103

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Rim or tire selection will not get rid of your wheel gap. You need to make suspension mods to do that. Cheapest way is to just run an aftermarket spring with your stock struts/shocks.

Go with a rim with a lower offset (around +45) than the Detroits (+51) to get closer to a flush look.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
18x8 ET45 on stock tires look great on this car. They will make the tires look like they fill the wheel wells out a little more since they stick out about 5/8” more than the stock wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Cheapest way is to just run an aftermarket spring with your stock struts/shocks.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember learning that this will wear out your shocks faster since it makes their baseline state more compressed than they were made for.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember learning that this will wear out your shocks faster since it makes their baseline state more compressed than they were made for.

Yea most aftermarket ones will. I say just go with DG springs and call it a day if on a budget.

To the OP, I'd definitely recommend lowering it first then getting wheels later if you can't afford both right now. Our cars won't look 4x4 status with just wheels and no drop but a drop is definitely needed to complete the look. Also, changing the suspension is a noticeable upgrade while wheels can save weight but are mostly for cosmetics.

For wheel fitment, 18x8 +45 is pretty standard for a good overall fitment. You shouldn't rub with just the fender screw mod. I'm running 18x8.5 +45 with stock tires and think its perfect. Sits flush with the fenders with zero (or minimal) poke. I had to get my front fenders rolled though and still rub on big dips even though I'm far from being slammed.