GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

11 GTI vs 04 S60R

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Had a chance to run against my buddy and his 04 Volvo S60R off a stoplight. We have run before, but out of corners and with one behind the other, with no one ever pulling away. Today was a bit different.

With AWD and 300hp, I expected to get spanked, particularly since they are clocked at 5.6 0-60. However as anyone who has driven them knows, the clutch engagement is kinda tricky. As such, my friend did not get the best launch. So he says! I did not even use my launch control though.....

I slowly pulled on him until my rear bumper cleared his front and we had to slow down. So it would be safe to say that the little GTI took out the S60R!

A pleasant surprise indeed! It seems to me that the GTI is quicker than what it is given credit for!

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Don't mean to spoil the party, but I used to own a S60R, and it is indeed faster than a stock GTI.

cbecker0130

awesome, keep up the thunder!

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Nope, unfortunately I am all stock currently. And yes, the S60R is faster than a stock GTI. With the right driver. I don't think my friend got the best of his car, so I then got the best of him.

AWD cars are tricky to launch sometimes, especially the touchy clutch of an S60R. With that in mind, and knowing that a better driver beats a worse driver even giving up something to the cars, I took him. It may never happen again.... at least until it isn't stock anymore!

It was still fun, and certainly won't be the last time we square off. I'll enjoy it while I can!