GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FMIC Fitment

slo mk6

I'm about to jump on a project, installing a FMIC, specifically the Neuspeed. I'm a fairly confident DIYer and the basic install of the IC doesn't bother me, but I noticed something about how FMICs sit low in the front bumpers of our cars. I have a Dorbritz grille that would make it very obvious that the IC sits low since it's wide open from top to bottom of the grille. That would bug the hell outta me. I guess that because the standard GTI grille has about an inch of closed off honeycomb along the top of the grille, it covers that all up.

Pulled this off Google (not my photo) but you can see here that the intercooler does not go all the way to the top of the grille.

My plan is to use a rotary tool and cut the bottom lip along the crash beam to make some clearance for the IC to sit flush underneath of it.

Then my plan is to fabricate some metal tabs that I can attach the supplied Neuspeed brackets, and the intercooler up flush with the crash beam. Sorry, wish I could illustrate that idea. :cool:

Assuming that all works out, I'm left with figuring out how to attach the IC hoses to the charge pipes with it all being raised up about an inch. Are they flexible enough to be moved that far? Would they tear if I tried?

Anyways, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate your .02. I absolutely love the look of this intercooler on the Golf R and basically I'm trying to achieve the same thing on my GTI.

Thanks all.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
In order to achieve that look you want, you WILL HAVE TO cut off that lower lip of the crash bar. Good luck with that because it is HARDENED STEEL. I was planning on cutting into the C/B but didn't do so because I don't have an acetylene torch. I wasn't even able to drill into it with the basic drill bits I had. Plan on cutting it, if you are persistent on gaining that 1" gap. Honestly, that's going to be a lot of work just to get that look. More power to you if you want to. Just ask Rotaryknight how hard it was to cut into the C/B.

Yes, the hoses supplied with the Neuspeed FMIC will bend without issue, once you move the FMIC upwards.

slo mk6

Well that bit of info about the hoses flexing is good news. As far as the cutting, I would like to ask him how he went about it most effectively. I saw his thread on the ATP intercooler and he had to cut like 90% of the crash beam out. Props to him! Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

slo mk6

Right. But aluminum is easy to drill through and I can just mount them further up

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Right. But aluminum is easy to drill through and I can just mount them further up

You will be drilling into hard plastic, not aluminum. I was referring to the holes of the radiator support for the mounting brackets, not the brackets themselves.