GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help My Car Drop Weight

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^I did that and jsut got a 'slime' brand one from autozone. I carry around a patch/plug kit as well. I did have to plug a tire on the road the other day and used the slime compressor for the first time. Took about 5-10 minutes to fill flat tire but worked! Beats carrying around that extra 35 pounds, especially when you don't even have to take the wheel off.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Well now i find this, someone was weighing various parts and came up with these figures... not 80 lbs for rear seat, more like 60

16" spare wheel 38.2lb
rear seat (large half) 37lb
rear seat (smaller half) 13.2lb
rear seat (bench) 11.6lb
oem jack 5lb
rear deck lid/cover 4lb

total: 109lb

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
A few hundred pounds really makes a difference. One of the driving instructors I had when I was learning was a bigger guy and man the car handled differently without him in the right seat. My girlfriend rides with me on a lot of track days now, she is fairly small and I don't really notice much of a difference when she's in the car. I did get a lightweight battery and I'm going to tear some junk that I don't need out of it. Excited to see how everything comes together this year.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Intriguing. Every time I've tracked my car (22 track days to be exact) I've left the spare and tools in. Maybe this season I'll remove the back seat and all that extra junk back there. It would allow me to make a better mount for the meth tank as well. brb.

Yeah yeah yeah. Do that, haven't had any of the tools or anything on any track day. I'm interested to see how my car does without backseat and my Unibrace XB mounted in there.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Hitting the gym won’t work for everyone. I gain weight when I go more. [emoji12][emoji123]
The seat fits me like a glove though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Sure:

Base weight 3120 ish (2dr, no sunroof, 6mt)

-Bride seat (30lbs lighter)
-CF hood (20lbs lighter)
-Braille battery (29lbs lighter)
-Flywheel (12 lbs lighter)
-Wheels (44lbs lighter/ 11 per corner)
-rear seats removed (80lbs lighter)

Then lots of odds and ends... brake rotors, lower control arms, exhaust (aluminium steel) Intercooler, lighter tires, removed rear wiper etc

When i weighed my car shortly after buying it (moving overseas in the army you have to) it was 3140. when you weight it you have to have 1/4 a tank of fuel or they will not ship, so i use that as my baseline. Now with the same fuel i weigh 2790

some variables are my meth tank... full its an additional 10lbs or so

My goal isn't even to lose a lot of weight right now. I just figured I'd do the easy weight reduction stuff first and see how I like it. I needed a new battery so I went light weight. I wanted new rims for a nicer look so I figured I'd go lightweight too, why not? I needed a new clutch after my stage 1 tune so i figured I'd go with a full clutch kit that can easily hold K04 power because thats my end goal... totally forgot that lightweight flywheel sheds that much weight. Tools and spare stays in the back but I'll take them out for dragstrip/auto cross events. I have a full aftermarket exhaust but I'm not sure if that saved me any weight and my intercooler has to weigh more than the stock one. So between my intercooler and exhaust it may be a wash on weight savings. I guess the next step for weight reduction would be a nice lightweight seat but thats going to have to wait.

I've got other priorities like fixing my bumper and getting tints. I put off my cosmetic mods long enough. Went straight to performance mods at first lol. I want to do some more suspension mods too like a nice pendulum mount, a rear sway bar (been putting that off too long), the rear subframe lock kit, and maybe a oil catch can, oh and cant forget a carbon cleaning at some point! The expenses add up fast unfortunately. And I dont think I'll be able to do all of that this coming season :( So I must prioritize.

The 4-doors definitely adds weight and the sunroof too. Now, you have first world experience so I can't argue with that. But when I google my car I see a curb weight of 3,113lbs and a 2-door (with sunroof and manual tranny) at 3,034. I'm also pretty sure that when VW reports these numbers its with a full tank of fuel. But anyways I'm real curious as to what my car really weights in its race weight. I'm hoping for 2,9xx.

This is what I'm thinking just by searching the web for weight figures:

Starting weight 3,113

Battery (11lb replacement): 26lbs saved
Rims: 44lbs saved
Spare + Jack + tools: 45lbs saved

Total of 115lbs

Car weights 2,998 - factor in half a tank of fuel or less and flywheel... I really hope to see 2,9xx. Would be awesome to break into the 2,8xx one day but I think that the extra 100lbs there would be much more expensive than the first 115ish lol. So we'll see if i can justify the last 100lbs.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
But when I google my car I see a curb weight of 3,113lbs and a 2-door (with sunroof and manual tranny) at 3,034. I'm also pretty sure that when VW reports these numbers its with a full tank of fuel. But anyways I'm real curious as to what my car really weights in its race weight. I'm hoping for 2,9xx.

This is what I'm thinking just by searching the web for weight figures:

Starting weight 3,113

Just so you know I didn't google my cars starting weight I weighed it with 1/4 tank (~30 lbs) at 3120. 2dr with no sunroof

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Only downside is it limits ALOT of after market BBKs

Do we have any idea which ones do work? I saw a thread around here somewhere that showed the Apikol Porsche caliper brackets fit if you got a slightly shorter bracket bolt or ground away a to y amount of material from the spindle. My first thought is that grinding away material isn't such a great plan, but it looked like such a small amount that it shouldn't !after. I'm not an engineer though, so I'm happy to accept that I might be wrong about that.

For a track driven car that gets bounced off of curbing every now and then I think the stronger spindles are very desirable.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
just want to update that i put on Stoptech ST40s with passat spindles, works fine. I think its just the superpro ball joints that dont work with ST40s