GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator support install

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Looking for some advice

Have any of you guys ever installed a radiator support in our cars? I’m gonna be attempting this tommrow along with taking off and installing a new front bumper cover (which i heard is super easy)

Thanks guys [emoji1303]

Also does anyone know the tools off the top of their head that i will need?

2013 GTI Wolfsburg edition 4 door DSG --> cts dogbone mount insert | custom nuespeed pflo cold air intake | rola roof rack | more to come....

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I had to because whoever had my car before me put on an ebay intercooler which has horrible fitment.

That aside, it is a pretty straightforward install... if you look for 'intercooler how to's on youtube i think there are a few floating around which include removing the radiator support for this purpose. pretty much a regular socket & torx set, jacks, a way to support stuff while the support is off, that's about it. keep your nuts and bolts straight to get it all back together smoothly. pm me with any questions

Uberryan

Banned
Pretty easy to do. Rad support has some hidden bolts behind the grill area that were tough to find. Curious as to why you'd need to remove the rad support for a front bumper install?

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
both my bumper and rad support are cracked and now i have a new bumper and new radiator support i need to install

2013 GTI Wolfsburg edition 4 door DSG --> cts dogbone mount insert | custom nuespeed pflo cold air intake | rola roof rack | more to come....

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Pretty easy to do. Rad support has some hidden bolts behind the grill area that were tough to find. Curious as to why you'd need to remove the rad support for a front bumper install?

Also, does the rad support just lay over the intercooler, radiator and ac condenser? I shouldn’t have to take any of that stuff apart should i?

Uberryan

Banned
Also, does the rad support just lay over the intercooler, radiator and ac condenser? I shouldn’t have to take any of that stuff apart should i?

I was tipsy during my intercooler install, but as I recall, it pulls off as one section, separate from the condenser, intercooler, radiator, and it has the headlight surrounds attached. When you lay it down, be careful to not lay it to where you'll break that section of the surround off, that sticks out. If you have the new one already, note the mounting points and look for them on the one currently installed and you should be fine. Be gentle with the bumper clips too. Once they go, your bumper is going to bulge out which sucks.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Pretty easy, takes about 90 minutes maybe 3-4 hours if its your first time around the car. You'll need like a jack or a small step stool to hold the radiator, intercooler ect.

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Pretty easy, takes about 90 minutes maybe 3-4 hours if its your first time around the car. You'll need like a jack or a small step stool to hold the radiator, intercooler ect.

Have to take off the hood latch and airbag sensors?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Have to take off the hood latch and airbag sensors?

Yes, start off with disconnecting the battery though. You just have to undo the crash sensors (i think theres only 2), and undo the hood latch cable at the actual hood latch. All simple stuff. IIRC the steps are as follows:

start with disconnecting the battery and removing the belly pan
1) remove grill
2) remove bumper
3) remove headlights
4) unclip crash sensor, and hood latch
5) undo the 4-6 bolts that connect the radiator support to the fenders
6) remove the bolts that connect the support to the frame rails, support should come out then. I may be missing a few things but that's the gist of it.

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Yes, start off with disconnecting the battery though. You just have to undo the crash sensors (i think theres only 2), and undo the hood latch cable at the actual hood latch. All simple stuff. IIRC the steps are as follows:

start with disconnecting the battery and removing the belly pan

1) remove grill

2) remove bumper

3) remove headlights

4) unclip crash sensor, and hood latch

5) undo the 4-6 bolts that connect the radiator support to the fenders

6) remove the bolts that connect the support to the frame rails, support should come out then. I may be missing a few things but that's the gist of it.

Thank you very much! Take off the crash at with the styrofoam price right behind the bumper also?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Yes crash bar and foam come off also

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

Flamingti27

Ready to race!

Sweet thanks man, i think i May have watched that but I’ll definitely give I.T another watch. In reality what could i really mess up besides not disconnected the crash sensors or the hood latch?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Sweet thanks man, i think i May have watched that but I’ll definitely give I.T another watch. In reality what could i really mess up besides not disconnected the crash sensors or the hood latch?

Theres not much you could mess up. Its a pretty simple job. The only real thing you can damage is the radiator/inter cooler/condensorby letting it fall/not supporting them.

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Theres not much you could mess up. Its a pretty simple job. The only real thing you can damage is the radiator/inter cooler/condensorby letting it fall/not supporting them.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I’ll give I.T a go soon, just have never done any as in depth as this in my car