GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official lightweight wheels thread

alexgc

Turbochargers rock.
To the guys with the Nurburgrings what tires specs are most of you running? I plan on lowering in the spring so I'm thinking 215/40??

I'm running the stock size tire for 17's - 225/45.

alexgc

Turbochargers rock.
When you get a chance post some pics of your ride Id like to get a look

Ask and ye shall receive:

I was running, earlier this summer, close to 24" fender-ground. But, when I autocrossed at this configuration, the front fender liners were scraping the ground constantly. So, this necessitated the ride-height increase.

Dub_Monk

Ready to race!
My main concern is rubing. I will be going with 18s but with stock tire on them Im not sure if it will rub.
Im planing on putting on streetlines in the spring. Not slamed by any means.

alexgc

Turbochargers rock.
My main concern is rubing. I will be going with 18s but with stock tire on them Im not sure if it will rub.

If you don't set the Streetlines to such a low setting and you use the stock tire size for the 18" wheel (225/40), then you shouldn't have any rubbing issues. I'm sure other people will chime in here.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion

I have the streetlines and I have minimal rubbing only when I turn the wheel all the way.. Also roll your fenders just to be safe. Chopped up my tires pretty good... However I'm almost as low as they go so i don't think you'll have an issue. I'm on stock tires btw.

ZeroRT

Ready to race!
Will be mounting these as soon as I have time. Which I don't have.

TSW Interlagos. Tires are Conti DW 225/40/18

Equals over 11 lbs of unsprung weight per corner versus the Detroits and Pirellis

Attachments

• IMG_20120112_172342.jpg
    IMG_20120112_172342.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 624

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
39.8? That sounds way too light that scale may be off. The tire alone is about 26lbs which would put the wheel at 13-14lbs.

ZeroRT

Ready to race!
39.8? That sounds way too light that scale may be off. The tire alone is about 26lbs which would put the wheel at 13-14lbs.

Scale is not off. The wheel is 19 lbs per the TSW website, and the Contis are 20 lbs per the Tirerack website.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Looks like you're right tire rack shows the tires at 21 and the wheels are quoted at 19. Those are really light!!! Great weight reduction.

How is the noise level with those tires?

My sumitomo HTR ZIII are impossibly loud. My combo is at 44.5lbs my tire is a whopping 4lbs heavier than urs!!

ZeroRT

Ready to race!
Not sure yet. I just got them and no time to install. I had the DW tires before on my Cobalt turbo. They were OK. I pretty much bought them again as they were light weight and cheap. Not my first choice but I had a budget.

flug2012

Ready to race!
I also hear it increases your gas mileage by a small amount. I'm not sure if slightly higher MPG and a small difference in acceleration and speed is worth the cost of some of these wheels though.

(Honestly, I like my Serrons, I just wish they were lighter.)

I rotated my Serrons last weekend and with the Pzeros came in at 45lbs... According to Tirerack the Pirellis are 23lbs so the wheels come in at 22lbs. Not bad but they're 18x7.5...