GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel vibration when accelerating

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Hi All,

My 2010 GTI has a new problem and i just hit the 100k mile mark. During full acceleration at highway speeds (60-80) MPH my steering wheel shakes/vibrates pretty bad. As soon as i let off the throttle the drive train normalizes and goes back to being smooth. The vibrations tend to come and go and sometimes i can feel it at 40 mph. The only consistent vibration i can feel is when i go WOT at highway speeds and i can feel a little vibration when driving at normal speeds. Is there anything that can cause this? The vibration feels like its coming more from the driver side.

I've had the tires re balanced and it did nothing (tires are fairly new too), changed the rotors and brake pads, inspected the suspension nothing feels loose or looks heavily worn.

I am thinking its possibly the axles or inner/outer tie rods but i don't know how to test those parts while they are still in the car.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I've been doing a lot of research about engine/trans mounts lately... Just thinking outside of your box here... Could just be worn out mounts maybe? Unsure of this shake/vibration you're feeling, but food for thought. I'm no expert.

Other thought would be an alignment.

supraeazy

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently saw another post about this same issue, and I can say I have the exact same issue as well. I've done just about everything I can think of including balance, rotate, shakedown front end, check for loose bushings etc. It seems like its a common issue with no real confirmed fix yet.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Tons of thread on this if you search, mild solutions. For me it took pretty much a full new suspension, all wheel bearings but mostly front control arm bushings front and rear, ball joints, wheel bearing and sway bar endlinks

Drew8

I have seen the CV axles cause this issue on other vehicles. As everyone said look over the front suspension first. If the suspension is loose it could be throwing the axle geometry off when you "load" it up during accelerations. Causing the axle joint to bind slightly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

supraeazy

Passed Driver's Ed
Just want to post an update on this, after I installed a dogbone insert from ECS, I have not had the vibration issue since! Might be worth looking into.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
:iono:Slightly bent wheel? Going through this now. Had some vibration on accel. Everything looked fine. Rotated tires and it was gone. Checked the wheels and one was just barely bent. Enough to cause a pretty noticeable vibration up front. Who knows how long it's been bent. Haven't hit anything hard enough (IMO) since I got them a few years ago.