GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
dood.. that sounds like a plac decision... you are just hunting for unneccessary things to spend money on now..

It's not like the discharge pipe is completely unnecessary... The stock piece has been leaking oil even after tightening.

The heat shield is only $30 and I'm also thinking of wrapping the intake in gold heat wrap to lower the air temps a bit.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Why add mods... sigh.
Ya know... I did consider starting to part things out. A quick hit would be the LED tails, but I love them. I pondered it for a while and just can't do it. The thought of driving around with those ugly halogen tails sickens me. Made me realize I'll just ride it out and enjoy it along the way with doing some mall supporting mods.

Btw- almost 3 years and 75k later I'm still on stock brakes. I have a set of ECS drilled slotted rotors and carbotech 1521 pads ready to go in soon. Still debating on upgrading to SS lines.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Ya know... I did consider starting to part things out. A quick hit would be the LED tails, but I love them. I pondered it for a while and just can't do it. The thought of driving around with those ugly halogen tails sickens me. Made me realize I'll just ride it out and enjoy it along the way with doing some mall supporting mods.

Btw- almost 3 years and 75k later I'm still on stock brakes. I have a set of ECS drilled slotted rotors and carbotech 1521 pads ready to go in soon. Still debating on upgrading to SS lines.

i remember a post long ago about ECS brand rotors cracking, but you've probably researched it. maybe it was a different brand or just one guy or something.

thats a good upgrade though. i'd like to put STI brakes on my WRX, it might be a direct bolt up for me. my brakes are nothing special.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Brembos would be a huge upgrade, do they clear then stock WRX wheels though?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
i remember a post long ago about ECS brand rotors cracking, but you've probably researched it. maybe it was a different brand or just one guy or something.

thats a good upgrade though. i'd like to put STI brakes on my WRX, it might be a direct bolt up for me. my brakes are nothing special.

Apparently, any drilled rotor can crack in track usage. Given that this is my daily and I have too many hobbies to consider adding another expensive one like tracking, I feel pretty confident these will suit me well. Are a lot of rexy guys putting the STI brakes on? I imagine you could get a pretty decent deal from an STI guy who is upgrading.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Brembos would be a huge upgrade, do they clear then stock WRX wheels though?

Are a lot of rexy guys putting the STI brakes on? I imagine you could get a pretty decent deal from an STI guy who is upgrading.

not a huge amount of info yet, just a couple threads. most say it bolts up, but some mention some wheel issues.

might just do pads.. but that would be far less of an upgrade.

my power is perfect. i need better brakes next.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Been playing rattle whack-a-mole lately. Just did the fuel line rattle DIY fix with foam paper. That worked well and I'm pleased. But two new ones just popped up:
1.) creaking/squeeking coming from dash instrument cluster over rough roads.
2.) random metallic rattling coming from center air vents under load. Can't recreate at will but happens randomly when giving it some gas in lower rpms.

I have some ideas about how to cure the dash creaking/squeeking but I'm not looking forward to tackling the center air vent rattle.

Superior interior FTW:laugh:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Also this:

And something small I've put off for far too long:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Just did an oil change last night at 76k miles. It's a hair over the 5k intervals that I've been sticking to. I use the liquimoly service kit sold by deutsche auto (one of my favorite VW/Audi vendors). I feel that the 5k intervals with liquimoly is part of the reason my cam followers show minimal wear when I change them every 15k. Overkill? Maybe. Cheap insurance? Absolutely.

While I was at it I installed the CTS heat shield. It's a nice piece. I didn't do any before/after logs to measure any change in air temps so who knows how effective it really is. Can't hurt. I Just ordered a 30ft roll of gold heat reflecting tape to further reduce radiant heat.

Thank you to Brad for helping me out.

Not sure when I'll get to installing the Neuspeed charge/discharge pipes but it will definitely be after the tape arrives.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
The R is at Horizon Detailing getting C Quartz done. Can't wait to see my baby shine:D

your car is still cherry enough to get an expensive wax job? i figured it would be all chipped up by now, especially with all your snow driving.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
your car is still cherry enough to get an expensive wax job? i figured it would be all chipped up by now, especially with all your snow driving.

It's actually not wax. It is a coating and I'm getting the "UK" version, which is the best one you can get for harsh winters:

"CQuartz UK was developed in the United Kingdom for use in cold, damp climates where most nanotechnology coatings typically struggle. A new fast flashing carrier was used to enhance curing in difficult conditions, and the silica-quartz content was increased to a scarcely believable 70% creating an even harder and purer glass layer. These enhancements allowed CQ UK to be easily applied in temperatures as low as 41-degrees Fahrenheit (5-Degrees Celsius), with even higher levels of beauty and protection, making it the unofficial pinnacle of our consumer CQuartz line."

I had Opti-Coat done last summer and it failed this past winter so my detailer is hooking me up. I'll be throwing him a fat tip for it through.