GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I was told by the service advisor at my local dealership, that VW will only act on the warranty if the tensioner fails. Then you would be required to pay a diagnostic fee and they will pull the timing cover and check to see if any of the components have failed. If they have failed then VW will cover the bill for all the repair costs (new engine basically) and supposedly reimburse you for the diagnostic fee.

I also called another VW dealership to verify this information and they had no idea what I was talking about :iono: So, at this rate it's hard telling what will actually happen.

That's the same as all warranty claims, you pay the diagnostic fee if it isn't covered under warranty but if it is, they pay it.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

I didn't get a letter. I have a 2013 with a build date of 6/2012.

I wanted to give some data points. I finally got to taking a peek to see what kind of timing tensioner I had. Although I have a lift at my house it's not exactly easy to see with a tiny mirror as per this video:

https://youtu.be/G65J1aEszyc

Having said that, there is NO WAY for you to see if your tensioner is a rev "K" or "H" or whatever. It's too far in there to see with a tiny mirror and flashlight. However, I did notice that my tensioner looked more like the K but without the shiny metal tab. I.e. - it looked more like the corkscrew that you can see if you removed the shiny tab as shown in the left pic. Someone please tell me that the shiny tab is supposed to come off the same way that circular pull ring (ala grenade) from the original one.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
I wanted to give some data points. I finally got to taking a peek to see what kind of timing tensioner I had. Although I have a lift at my house it's not exactly easy to see with a tiny mirror as per this video:

https://youtu.be/G65J1aEszyc

Having said that, there is NO WAY for you to see if your tensioner is a rev "K" or "H" or whatever. It's too far in there to see with a tiny mirror and flashlight. However, I did notice that my tensioner looked more like the K but without the shiny metal tab. I.e. - it looked more like the corkscrew that you can see if you removed the shiny tab as shown in the left pic. Someone please tell me that the shiny tab is supposed to come off the same way that circular pull ring (ala grenade) from the original one.

The tab is a pull to unlock tab. You could rent or buy a boredcope if you are not able to see.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yes the clip is for retaining tension. Its pretty easy to tell the difference. The new version has the U cut out in the black section end where you can see the ratcheting grooves on the plunger. The old one has has a black section then a unpainted metal section at the end where the plunger comes out. If you can see unpainted metal where the plunger comes out you know you have the old one.

Attachments

• Tensioner2.jpgoriginal.jpg
    Tensioner2.jpgoriginal.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 219

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Yes the clip is for retaining tension. Its pretty easy to tell the difference. The new version has the U cut out in the black section end where you can see the ratcheting grooves on the plunger. The old one has has a black section then a unpainted metal section at the end where the plunger comes out. If you can see unpainted metal where the plunger comes out you know you have the old one.

I have the new one... YAY!!!! Thanks for the feedback!!!

bov

Hi everyone... I'm really bummed to say that my 2011 @ 68k miles just had the tensioner fail and also blew the engine... Dealer is saying I need a whole new engine and turbo... quoted $10k and warranty will only cover 60% ($6k) leaving my bill to be $4k which is RIDICULOUS. I've been trying to work with VWOA and the dealership (Capitol VW in San Jose CA) but so far no budge... Any other advice???

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone... I'm really bummed to say that my 2011 @ 68k miles just had the tensioner fail and also blew the engine... Dealer is saying I need a whole new engine and turbo... quoted $10k and warranty will only cover 60% ($6k) leaving my bill to be $4k which is RIDICULOUS. I've been trying to work with VWOA and the dealership (Capitol VW in San Jose CA) but so far no budge... Any other advice???

I was told my engine was blown too... I checked for myself and it was fine. I'd start there. My total cost for tools and parts was about 750 or so. No shops would touch it. Everyone quoted me about 6-8k so I learned to do it myself and asked advice here

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

So you got the letter above and they are only covering 60%? The letter doesn't say anything about only covering 60%. What's VW's justification for that?

bov

So you got the letter above and they are only covering 60%? The letter doesn't say anything about only covering 60%. What's VW's justification for that?

VW will cover 100% of the timing chain/tensioner replacement, but not 100% of the engine and any other parts which may fail due to the timing chain...

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
VW will cover 100% of the timing chain/tensioner replacement, but not 100% of the engine and any other parts which may fail due to the timing chain...
Okay .... So why would you need a new turbo as well?

I'd get an Indy shop to give you a diagnostic on the turbo ....

Turbos about 1600 alone.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Jack Sparrow

Passed Driver's Ed
Dumb Question: Is there anything that can be done to prevent this issue?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Dumb Question: Is there anything that can be done to prevent this issue?
Other than proactively replacing tensioner/chain to updated versions? 5k oil changes and maintain oil levels.

Check Engine measuring block 093 with VCDS/OBDeleven. If camshaft phase position at idle is beyond -4 to 4 it is an indication that the camshaft timing chain has stretched or jumped a tooth.

Jack Sparrow

Passed Driver's Ed
Other than proactively replacing tensioner/chain to updated versions? 5k oil changes and maintain oil levels.

Check Engine measuring block 093 with VCDS/OBDeleven. If camshaft phase position at idle is beyond -4 to 4 it is an indication that the camshaft timing chain has stretched or jumped a tooth.

Thanks for the help Tony. Any idea of what the cost might be to replace the tensioner/chain with the updated version?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the help Tony. Any idea of what the cost might be to replace the tensioner/chain with the updated version?
I believe I've seen guys on here say they've paid $1000 to $1500 at an independent shop for tensioner/chains/guides (might as well do it all while you're in there). I have pictures and links to service manual, etc from when I did mine if you're interested. Check the link in my signature.