GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2011 GTI owner with questions.

Goldtacto

Recently bought a 2011 Mk6 GTI with 44,000 miles.
It came with a COBB accessport, COBB Big intake and a COBB downpipe (NO turboback exhaust) with a couple of cosmetic modifications.

Am I fine running the Stage 2-91 tune with downpipe only or should I be running 1+? I had CEL on 1+ tune, but its gone with stage 2 and honestly feels like it runs better.

Also how well does 92 octane work with the 91 octane tunes? I understand to NOT use 93 octane tune with 91/92 octane. 93 octane is out of the question since Hawaii doesn't have any.

Are there some recalls or maintenance concerns I should be aware of? The previous owner sold the car to me because she wanted a DSG, not a manual and doesn't know much of anything about the history of the car.

Lastly, are there any recommendations for modifications that I should consider? (already looking into full exhaust and clutch)

Thanks!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Upgraded downpipe = stage 2, so you're good on the stage 2 tune.

With octane it's okay to run a higher number in the tank than what the engine is tuned for. So you can run 92, 93, 100, whatever and that 91 octane tune will be fine. It's kind of a waste of money, but your engine will not care.

If you're not sure what clutch is in it I would budget a few dollars for a new one and just be ready. If it's the stock clutch it's hard to say how long it'll last, but if it's been upgraded there's no point in digging out a perfectly good clutch.

As far as other modifications, it sounds like the car is good to go. So at this point it's all about what you want out of the car. You may find it worthwhile to get a professional tune specific to your car, as I believe the Cobb tunes provided with the AccessPort are very conservative and leave some power on the table.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
since you have an older year mk6, you'll want to get your timing chain tensioner replaced, otherwise you run the risk of catastrophic engine failure.

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
I only have 92 octane as well in WA, I ran it on all my 93 tunes without issue, max timing pull I had was -3 which was in range.