GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From R32 to KO4 GTI

08RedRocket

Redheads do it best
Golf R KO4 swap

I'm starting this thread to help those who have questions about building out their car with a KO4 that came off a Golf R. Now before anyone gets all uppity and says anything about being cheap, I originally had my sights on an APR KO4, but by chance, my buddy, Scott (you can follow him, scottisha69, and his Golf R build on YouTube) gave me his turbo to help me save some money. This is what spurred this thread.

I have had several discussions about if the manifold would fit since it's coming off a FSI motor and going onto a TSI, the differences in the KO4 housings, etc etc. So I figured I'd put all I learned here to help those with questions.

So here we go.

Yes, the manifold will work. I consulted John Voss over at AWE Tuning to get a DV Relocation kit and in the process he asked me the product number off the Golf R. turbo and it is the SAME one they use. All that needs to be is some machining. Here they will remove the turbo silencer, the turbo recirculation port, and the port cover. Pretty much the same standard for the KO4 build from APR, except after talking to Steven at APR, he said they use a proprietary housing for the turbo, which of course he did not tell me the difference.

Now the build of the GTI.

I purchased the GTI after a horrible accident that totaled my R32, which some would say was not a real R because is was the MKV :lol:

Anyway. I will post pictures as I go along...

EDIT: Pictures
Red MKV was my old car, blue is the one getting the make over.

Last edited:

08RedRocket

Redheads do it best
Parts

Go on... more details!

Currently I have a Stage 2 APR setup. I have a Neuspeed CAI, 3" ATP turbo DP, and a custom TBE exhaust built Fabian at FS Tuning in Orlando, FL. I met Fabian when I purchased my R32 and I wanted to give him a shot since he works on AMGs, Porsches, Audis, and is notorious for loving VW's. He did a great job and used two Camaro SS resonators. I love the deep drone of the exhaust and thought having a Magnaflow or APR exhaust was too "normal." I also have Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert, which definitely makes the engine feel more planted and responsive, but the biggest addition that I recommend to everyone is to get the Diesel Geek Sigma Six short shifter. It reduced the movement between gears significantly and it made the travel crisper. Besides that, I have my 18" TSW Nurburgrings on Michelin PS2s.

Last edited:

menios80

Ready to race!
I'm starting this thread to help those who have questions about building out their car with a KO4 that came off a Golf R. Now before anyone gets all uppity and says anything about being cheap, I originally had my sights on an APR KO4, but by chance, my buddy, Scott (you can follow him, scottisha69, and his Golf R build on YouTube) gave me his turbo to help me save some money. This is what spurred this thread.

I have had several discussions about if the manifold would fit since it's coming off a FSI motor and going onto a TSI, the differences in the KO4 housings, etc etc. So I figured I'd put all I learned here to help those with questions.

So here we go.

Yes, the manifold will work. I consulted John Voss over at AWE Tuning to get a DV Relocation kit and in the process he asked me the product number off the Golf R. turbo and it is the SAME one they use. All that needs to be is some machining. Here they will remove the turbo silencer, the turbo recirculation port, and the port cover. Pretty much the same standard for the KO4 build from APR, except after talking to Steven at APR, he said they use a proprietary housing for the turbo, which of course he did not tell me the difference.

Now the build of the GTI.

I purchased the GTI after a horrible accident that totaled my R32, which some would say was not a real R because is was the MKV :lol:

Anyway. I will post pictures as I go along...

EDIT: Pictures
Red MKV was my old car, blue is the one getting the make over.

I have made the same with you buy an R/S3 K04 and custom made it to fit.it was done quick and cost about 45$.look how it look like :)

Στάλθηκε; από το; GT-I9300 μο;υ; χρησιμο;πο;ιώντας Tapatalk 2

menios80

Ready to race!
Have you installed it yet? What software are you running? Any issues?

No not an issue at all..i have a custom tune.my friend is a tuner and he has tune it.

08RedRocket

Redheads do it best
No not an issue at all..i have a custom tune.my friend is a tuner and he has tune it.

Nice, I'll be running the APR tune. When I spoke with John at AWE, he said that several people have used their KO4 but run APR tunes and have had no problems. We shall see. I already have the APR Stage 2 Tune so the upgrade is $149 during their sale.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Ahh you should've taken the R32 brakes and put it on the mk6.

08RedRocket

Redheads do it best
Ahh you should've taken the R32 brakes and put it on the mk6.

That was brought up before the weekend was over! My accident was on a Friday and by Sunday I had several people that I did not know call me for the "okay" to strip the car.

I was devastated. I had purchased the R in May 1st and it was totaled September 7th. I had it for four months, one of which I was on orders for the army. I just wanted to walk away from it and break even at that point. After saving up for years for a HUGE downpayment, tune, CAI, exhaust, etc I was happy to just save the wheels and the new PS2s.

08RedRocket

Redheads do it best
Ordered my RAI Motorsport FMIC today. American made.

I originally wanted the APR FMIC because of their quality and its performance, but I did not realize where it is mounted. Hands down APR makes great stuff, we all know that, but I wanted to see my FMIC. So I began my search on several kinds. I found BSH, Forge, Godspeed, and RAI. One of the guys in my car club had a RAI one so I asked him his opinion (he is known for having the best parts). Well, he could not stop ranting and raving about how well it worked so I looked into their product. This is where it gets awesome

RAI has been back ordered for awhile now, 8 weeks according to their site, and I just could not accept that. So I spoke with Ray, yes Ray at RAI, to find out what the issue has been and it is because they cannot get any cores in from Garrett. He called all of his distributers and scoped all the warehouses he could for me but no dice. Naturally, I asked what IC core they use by Garrett. He gave me the part number and I began tracking. I called a bunch of places and was finally able to locate just the core days after we started talking. RAI snatched up all of their cores and will be building orders for those who have already placed them, mine too of course. So anyone who reads this that gets their RAI FMIC after today, you can thank me.

If you have not seen their work, here you go.

You can contact Ray via their website or by email: Ray@raimotorsport.com

http://www.raimotorsport.com/default.asp

Last edited: